netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Hope this is not a NLO

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
tikaion

Hope this is not a NLO

Postby tikaion » Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Hello everyone,

Glad to be here.
I've learned quite a lot reading your forum. Thanks for the generosity.

In normal time I collect - or try to collect - chinese and japanese porcelain. The netsuke field has always attracted me BUT when I first tried to buy one, well I bought four, and than I realized they were NLO, as you call them, made of "ivoirine", and that damped my enthusiasm. It was long time ago. Since than not trying to chase after them. Well anyways, good and true netsukes are very hard to find unless you have a lot of money to spend.

That said, I got the one below. I find it very well done actually. The face of the man seems very familiar, it's like the same face I've seen on many and many okimonos mostly... It measures 4 cm in height and 4,7cm large.
Actually I don't know what the man is doing, does somebody know what he's doing?

Hope to hear from you, thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Attachments
DSC_2524.jpeg
DSC_2525.jpeg
DSC_2526.jpeg
DSC_2527.jpeg
DSC_2528.jpeg
DSC_2529.jpeg
DSC_2530.jpeg
DSC_2531.jpeg
DSC_2532.jpeg
DSC_2533.jpeg

ModTeam

Re: Hope this is not a NLO

Postby ModTeam » Thu May 17, 2018 3:09 am

Dear Tikaion,
Welcome to to forum. We are sorry to tell you that your concern this is an NLO is correct. It is actually more of an okimono but had himotoshi placed in a not so good position on the back. So, a pretend to be netsuke. The consolation prize for you is it is a better carving than most we see. Still, it is not an authentic netsuke or what we recommend as collectible Japanese art.
Please enjoy your visits here and please do ask our community any questions which may aid your netsuke education.
The ModTeam

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:31 am

It is good that you recognize the face on this carving, as it might mean that you are beginning to understand a look of facial detail that is 20c and forward, and generally nlo. Looking at the subject matter however, the man may be grinding ginger or some other spice.
Judy

tikaion

Postby tikaion » Thu May 17, 2018 10:02 am

Thank you very much for your answers. Much obliged.

Should the flat base have been a hint about it not being a real netsuke? Something it’s more appropriate for decorative disposal I guess.

Regards,

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Although there are some authentic netsuke that are flatter than others, generally speaking, netsuke are carved in 3-d - even on the bottom. So there would be more variation in the depth of the carved area, with good detail on his feet, folds in his clothing, etc. Some netsuke might have a figure sitting on a mat, and then you would see the fine detail of the mat or rug. But you have the right idea. The bottom should be a joy to behold as well! Good luck on your next purchase!
Judy

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”