netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

What is this and what does it say?

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
Solange882

What is this and what does it say?

Postby Solange882 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Hello: I'm new to the message board. I have this metal inro that has the remains of a bright red substance within it. I am hopeful that someone knows what this is and also what the script on the case is trying to tell me. Thanks for your help. I'm going to post some other questions separately.
Attachments
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG

AFNetsuke

Re: What is this and what does it say?

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 pm

The "red substance" is probably seal paste. Others may comment on the translation of characters on your inro.
Alan

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Fri May 11, 2018 10:48 pm

The inro looks shaped like a bronze temple bell with an ashtray netsuke.

John 

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat May 12, 2018 12:19 pm

This old 'grass' script is difficult to read without training. We have one or two members in the States who may come and comment on the writing. The only written characters easily recognizable in there for me are Moon 月 of course, and the left character on the back 景 which can be read Nagame, Keshiki, Kei or Ei, meaning a view or scene. If it is part of a name however, then it will be read just Kei or Ei in that context.

The other thing you could try is posting it on the Nihonto Message Board (Translations, with a pretty please) where they have a visting expert Mr Morita who might enjoy the challenge of reading it for you! Good luck. Oh, a nice seal set you have there! 8-)
Last edited by chonchon on Sat May 12, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat May 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Andi, I'm happy you found your way to the forum. We met you briefly at a chapter meeting in San Francisco. Sorry we aren't providing you a lot of information but please share back with us here if you learn more about the readings.
Alan

Solange882

Postby Solange882 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks everyone, for your responses thus far. I will try the Nihonto Message Board too.

Return to “Sagemono Types”