netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Latest find to my collection

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Operafan

Re: Latest find to my collection

Postby Operafan » Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks for showing them, Dave. I agree with you ;)

Here is a very good thread, mainly about shojo, from 2016. There are a few VERY NICE netsuke, including an Ikkan shojo posted by Klaus, who has an amazing collection of them (and other netsuke - I had the pleasure and honour to see most of his collection, which he kindly and patiently showed me).

viewtopic.php?f=494788&t=8077799&hilit=Tadatoshi
Alex

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri May 04, 2018 3:42 pm

I love looking at the Shojos from all your collections this morning. HLH, your Shojo has a simple charm with a lot of aji. You can tell it has been handled and loved, perhaps carried long after the need for netsuke was gone, a talisman in someone's pocket. It has an unpretentious charm about it that is attractive and winsome.
All the others here are more in keeping with what we have come to expect from Shojo, with the elaborately detailed clothing. Dave, the Masamori that you have shown here does have a more mature face than most I have seen- one of the elders!
I think I am remembering correctly in that Klaus has an admirable collection of several Shojo. And, I am sorry, I have absolutely none! Perhaps someday, I will find one that has my name on it!
Thanks for sharing them!
Judy

HLH

Postby HLH » Fri May 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Dave!

The Ikkan Shojo and Shojo by Masamori, looks both very beautiful with all details and masterly carving technique. Masamori's works are 19th C. but I can't find works Ikkan. Thanks for charing.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

HLH

Postby HLH » Fri May 04, 2018 3:56 pm

Alex!

Your shoji dates to the early 19th C. if my book references are correct. Thanks for the tread. I'll read it asap.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

HLH

Postby HLH » Fri May 04, 2018 4:13 pm

John !

You say; "I would guess that it was probably carved sometime in the second half of the 19th C."
I assume that you base this qualified guess on numerous handling of many pcs. over a long time and developed a "fingertip feeling" for genuineness and age compared to pieces with a known certain date. Or do you have another way or tip?
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

HLH

Postby HLH » Fri May 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks Judy !

Yes, this little fantasy creature is very charming and as you say, has a lot of aji. I'm trying to collect pieces like this one thats been used and handled by its owner for my collection. By the way, do you know if there's a tradition i Japan to inherit a netsuke from father to son or someone else connected to the family?
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Fri May 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi Henrik - no other tip, just a gut feeling.
Incidentally, Davey lists Ikkan as mid 19th Century - ' one of the greatest of all netsuke artists, he was a priest in the Kiosanji temple at Nagoya.................... perhaps best known for his seated or reclining figures of the legendary shojo......'

John 

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Fri May 04, 2018 6:51 pm

As an illustration of the genius of Ikkan, here is a photo of his amazing Kirin.

58D84118-4D31-4EBD-83AA-27618D91B247.jpeg

Clive used it in his ‘workshop’. I wish he restarted it ...
Alex

HLH

Postby HLH » Sat May 05, 2018 9:47 am

Hi Tomohisa

[/quote]
HLH : I like your little netsuke of Shojo.
Although not a masterpiece it is an authentic one and made for the Japanese market.
The hairwork is good and the himotoshi are placed at the right spot for actual wearing the netsuke.
I believe the age is late 18 century to first half 19.[/quote]

I’m just curious which criterias you lean on when you belive its made around 1800? I do agree with your other comments on my Shojo.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat May 05, 2018 10:19 am

HLH,
I have no information to back it up, but I would imagine that the family kept special and loved netsuke, passing them down over generations. I know that one dealer told me that, when visiting Japan, they would visit the family of a carver. It would take a while, and a level of trust, but then the good pieces that were tucked away would come out slowly, giving them the opportunity to view and perhaps purchase from the favored pieces.
Alex, I have always loved that Kirin, and really love anything by Ikkan. What a gifted carver!
Judy

Return to “Collector's Gallery”