netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Hare with Amber Eyes

Not sure what you have? Here you can post your piece and discover its period, context and authenticity.
josephrobert

Hare with Amber Eyes

Postby josephrobert » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi, I have only started appreciating Netsuke from yesterday :) . I have based this mindset on the Hare which has been in the family for some time, but sadly not appreciated. Unfortunately I have nobody to ask about how and when in came from, so I am hoping someone may be able to provide some solace. I would be very interested to hear from anybody who can suggest what the material is (the cracks might give a clue here - dehydration? As well as it's cold, but not overly so, too touch), an idea of the age (late meiji? and another clue is the himotoshi - this isn't the typical big hole small hole - there is scope for a cord between the legs and arms) and also, and this may be a long shot, the person who created it based on the signature. IMO I think it is of fine quality and you truly get a feel for its emotions. Questions most welcome.
Attachments
s-l1600 (10).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

jbjtennyo

Re: Hare with Amber Eyes

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:40 am

I do like your hare with amber eyes. I do feel it is a contemporary carving, and possibly carved from mammoth ivory. The spots on it makes it a piebald rabbit. I think his face is charming, and I like his long laid back ears. His hair detail although different is an interesting technique and to me, seems a more loose and creative attempt at showing a varied pattern. Although he is a contemporary, he has a charm and personality that makes him a keeper in my book. More a small Okimono than netsuke, enjoy your hare. Welcome!
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:19 am

Yes, josephrobert, I generally agree with Judy there. You suggest late Meiji for your hare or rabbit which 'has been in the family for some time'. Judy says 'contemporary' but this can cover quite a wide area, so there may be overlap somewhere between the world wars. (?) It does not give me a pre-Meiji feeling, but it does evince a much later consciousness and appreciation of Western art and nature. The Mei window looks harshly sliced though, almost painful for the rabbit, and the ink vivid. The signature itself I showed to my Japanese wife as I have not seen anything like it. She could not read either character. The answer will be out there, but is it worth the time to find out? It will either be a fake, added later to confuse and deceive, (nothing at all unusual there) or genuine but by a later artist, who could be from Korea, China or Japan.

As an object, a sweet little thing, easy to love.
Piers

Size is something.

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:43 pm

Oh well ...... again and again,

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Japanese-Netsuk ... SwZBha4zIA

Who posts? The current seller or an interested buyer?

Reinhard

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Odd how it's posed exactly like the illustrious one on the cover of the book... Coincidence?

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:24 pm

josephrobert wrote:Hi, I have only started appreciating Netsuke from yesterday :) . I have based this mindset on the Hare which has been in the family for some time, but sadly not appreciated. Unfortunately I have nobody to ask about how and when in came from, so I am hoping someone may be able to provide some solace. IMO I think it is of fine quality and you truly get a feel for its emotions. Questions most welcome.

The fact that this item is for SALE on e-Bay would seem to make the above statements somewhat dishonest for me. Were you posting in hopes of learning about a family keepsake or as an advertisement to sell something through promotion on this website (which is not allowed)?
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:19 pm

I am disappointed to hear that this hair is on eBay. As you must know, we try hard not to comment on the forum regarding things that are on the market today. When I said that I believe this rabbit contemporary I really meant 20th century. I also feel it is Okimono as the feet are precariously placed and would break if worn as a netsuke. Also the small opening between the front and back foot do not make it for me as a himotoshi, so would be a small okimono in my opinion.
Judy

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:39 pm

As Doug already hints, this is a modern copy of the famous hare with the Amber eyes. Nothing wrong with modern carvings, but copies trying to replicate a famous model should always fire off alarm bells. Plenty of other materials that could be used. How modern ivory still gets in ebay is beyond me. I am sure, this is one of the key reasons the coalition is placing netsuke into the domestic ivory ban. Until we regulate the netsuke market, sadly this will continue.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Joseph, if you read this please do the potential next buyer a favour, and remove it from eBay. Keep it as memory of what is dear to you, and a link to your family :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 pm

This hare sold for £590 on e-bay with 22 bids despite uncertainty of what it is carved from or how new it is. Are we missing something :?:

John 

Return to “Authenticity”