netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Help reading signature

Discussions of carvers, workshops and attributions. A forum to also find help on, or discuss, signatures.
GRHR

Help reading signature

Postby GRHR » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:05 am

Dear Forum,
I've recently posted about this netsuke in the Subjects and Legends thread but as this is a signature specific question I'm posting a new thread here. Below is a photo of the signature I'm trying to read which I have deciphered as "Kyu-ichi-shin” from the three kanji but I couldn’t find any carvers with this name and I think I must have the first kanji - "Kyu" wrong (if not all of them!). Any thoughts on this much appreciated and thanks in advance,
Giles
P1160009.JPG

chonchon

Re: Help reading signature

Postby chonchon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 am

Sorry, I have looked at it again but nothing stands out and Martyn still has my handy quick cross-reference book.
お in hiragana? "O"? (or み? "Mi"?)
一 ichi/kazu?

*Or is it supposed to be Gyokushin? 玉真
(The Shin character looks like a different shade of ink 真)
Last edited by chonchon on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 am

The trouble is that the signature is not very crisply carved, particularly the first and third characters

- ??? kazu/ i/ ichi then sada/ tei?

John 

GRHR

Postby GRHR » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks Piers and John - very useful, I hadn't thought that the first two characters could actually be one character. I just looked at the mei under a microscope and it does indeed look like the first two characters are joined by a weak line - sadly I can't photograph this, but I've made a butchered attempt to draw what it looks like under microscope on a piece of paper (pic below) in case this helps! I'm pretty sure the bottom character is "shin" as it is most similar to the one below that appears a few times in the MT Hindson collection book of carvers but I can't find any carvers called "squiggle - shin"!!
P1160020.JPG
P1160016.JPG
P1160018.JPG

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 am

There are times when Western logic fails.
Giving up, I asked my J wife to put on her reading glasses. She took one look and immediately said "Gyoku". This inspiration rarely comes from her, but when it does I am thankful. Usually she refuses to cooperate or makes unhelpful comments.
See: http://www013.upp.so-net.ne.jp/santai/jpg/0202.jpg
Piers

Size is something.

GRHR

Postby GRHR » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am

Piers, that's amazing - please thank your wife and thank you for mentioning it to her! Now the issue is finding a carver of similar netsuke called Gyokushin... the hunt continues :)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 am

Will do. Don't forget to include Gyokushin-Sai (Sai is a title) or alternative name 孝一 Koichi.
Last edited by chonchon on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Artists & Signatures”