netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bonhams "Fine Japanese Art" - 17th May 2018

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
jimfowlie

Bonhams "Fine Japanese Art" - 17th May 2018

Postby jimfowlie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Just received the catalogue for Bonhams 17thMay auction. Is it just me or do the reserves seem lower than usual? Any thoughts anyone?
Jim (INS member)

souldeep

Re: Bonhams "Fine Japanese Art" - 17th May 2018

Postby souldeep » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi Jim - good to hear from you :)

Yes I received mine as well today. Not sure about low estimates - seemed reasonably standard for the Bonham's Fine Art sales - what was more surprising was the number of mixed lots.

Noticed quite a few pieces from David Bowden, who passed last year, and a friend of the forum that has decided to focus in other areas of art going forward. Both very sad losses to the netsuke world.

For those without the cat, you can find auction online here - http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24680/
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

jimfowlie

Postby jimfowlie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi Martyn. They will be on view when we have the Eurofest. Can't wait for it. Be good to see everyone again, as well as some new faces.
Jim (INS member)

netsukebeginner

Postby netsukebeginner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:54 pm

havent post in a while.

I think i will fly in and grab some pieces :lust:

Did somebody participate in this new york last week?
Last edited by netsukebeginner on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30 pm

My catalogue arrived a few days ago too. Always beautifully presented.

I see a few items that interest me but sadly all but one have that dreaded asterisk after the lot number meaning an additional 5% on hammer price and VAT.

Jordi

HLH

Postby HLH » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:37 am

Hi all

I also recived the catalog the other day. Some very good pieces that would fit nicely in my slowly growing colletion. But, why all the mixed lots? If you like one you would have to buy a lot of 5-6 pcs. Bonhams might think that it will give better prices - I dont know?
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:16 am

HLH wrote:Hi all

I also recived the catalog the other day. Some very good pieces that would fit nicely in my slowly growing colletion. But, why all the mixed lots? If you like one you would have to buy a lot of 5-6 pcs. Bonhams might think that it will give better prices - I dont know?

This is only my speculation - but the mixed lots are because Bonham's feel the value of one netsuke doesn't warrant the Bonham's minimum lot price (I think that's set at around 1k). These are generally known as dealer lots. The reasons they are known as that - the dealers can sell each item individually to make up the price they paid for the lot, and with capital outlay returned to 0 (or in many cases better) they can then hold out on the last remaining piece (usually the best of the bunch) for a good price. They may sometimes sit on that one piece for years then reintroduce it to the market once it has been forgotten.

Collectors have little chance on these lots - we don't have a sales channel. We would be stuck with a number of pieces from the lot that have little to no relevance in our collections. What is the answer? Well I have brought good pieces this way from Dealers. Sometimes it has been the case that the good piece is sold cheaper than the whole lot price. Everyone is happy :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

onimh

Postby onimh » Thu May 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Yes, I might have bid on lot 9 for the dragon/coral (although I don't know if coral is importable into the US) and lot 11 for the sennin and Ama.
As is, I am sure I will be satisfied with my purchase of Jogen Fugen (lot 110). A bit chunky, but I like the head of the kirin, her hair, and Jogen Fugen is an uncommon subject, especially in wood, so I'm happy to add it to my sennin collection. {Anyone need a frustrated ratcatcher?}
I'm very disappointed that I had a computer glitch and ended up as underbidder for what I consider to be a very good buy for lot 120 the cockerel....ah well.

My favorite of the auction though, hands down was Grinch!!!!
Attachments
TomoNobu Sennin Jogen Fugen 2.JPG
TomoNobu Sennin Jogen Fugen.JPG
TomoNobu Sennin Jogen Fugen 3.JPG
Grinch.jpeg

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Thu May 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Jogen-fujin, part of the retinue of Seibo, Queen of the West, is portrayed by many Japanese artists as riding on a kirin rather than a unicorn.

John 

billweb

Postby billweb » Fri May 25, 2018 1:25 am

I had my sights on the rat, lot #116 but not surprisingly the bidding went way past the estimates and I was left in the dust. I was luckier with lot #123 and am looking forward to my first octopus. The ivory situation is really frustrating but it is..........etc. etc.

Bill

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”