netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Is this a rakan or a Sennin?

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
chonchon

Re: Is this a rakan or a Sennin?

Postby chonchon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:12 am

I still do not know what it is, but it does look like a sword hilt, of the kind that became popular in Meiji Japan, ie with Western influence.
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 26st%3D502
It does not look like any kind of traditional Japanese blade hilt,
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... =&ei=UTF-8
not even the Buddhist swords or the ancient straight swords of Nara and Heian times which had a sort of large round knob-pommel on the end.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%9B%B4 ... period.jpg
Last edited by chonchon on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 am

Perhaps if we could get a shot lower down and slightly further round the back there might be a hint of a continuation of something?
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:39 am

Hi Walter, as Piers suggests, it would be useful if we can have some 360 images around the belt area?

I've managed to acquire some closer images of the model shared in the article on the previous page of this thread.

This model is from the same circle of hands, and it appears uncontroversial to suggest it is representing the same subject. I thought you'd find this interesting to compare. It does seem that this lineage of model attempts to represent a sword at the waist. You'll note that the handle in both cases ends with a circular hole in the centre.

Screenshot_20180418-201732.png
Screenshot_20180418-201717.png

The article also mentions a thunderbolt in the right hand hand. I wonder though, could it be a crude representation of a Vajra - the symbol of the Shingon sect of Buddhism?

_20180419_082719.JPG

6632.jpg

14thC silk painting of Kukai, the founder of the Shingon sect of Buddhism.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

wevege

Postby wevege » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:34 am

Dear friends Chonchon and Souldeep, as I mentionned in the beginning this netsuke is not in my own collection; it arouse however greatly my interest. In the meantime I returned it to its owner, so I cannot take further picts.
I foreward nevertheless yr suggestion to the owner and ask him to provide some more takes.
Many thanks for for your very helpfull reflextions on this subject and certainly for the latest reveeling images you succeeded in finding!
Walter.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”