netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Advice on Purchase

Read the forums, still got questions, looking for tips or books to read? Then this is the forum for you to visit.
AFNetsuke

Re: Advice on Purchase

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:06 am

This website is the foum of the International Netsuke Society. Many visitors here find us through our home page at Netsuke.org. You should visit there and explore the links such as member dealers, museums. There are chapters around the world you can join and participate in. We have a major convention every 2 years where there are exhibits, workshops, formal lectures, social activities, booths set up for the world's top dealers, and frequently an important auction. You have to attend these things to understand their value. You will see netsuke in a whole new light after a convention experience.
Alan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 am

I forgot to say you can join INS on the Netsuke.org website and will receive 4 quarterly journals per year.
Alan

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:This website is the foum of the International Netsuke Society. Many visitors here find us through our home page at Netsuke.org. You should visit there and explore the links such as member dealers, museums. There are chapters around the world you can join and participate in. We have a major convention every 2 years where there are exhibits, workshops, formal lectures, social activities, booths set up for the world's top dealers, and frequently an important auction. You have to attend these things to understand their value. You will see netsuke in a whole new light after a convention experience.

Alan I really appreciate the guidance, you are a good egg!

There's one thing that's nagging at me relevant to modern netsuke and Natasha. Are any of these people contributing in any way to the illegal trade in ivory? Because as much as I want to collect some of these amazing modern netsuke, I'd hate to be any part of that.
My name is Greg, life is good, code green.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:48 pm

As I understand it, Natasha works in Mammoth Ivory. This is legal.

Fortunately most modern netsuke are in a wealth of materials. If you are concerned, rightfully, about your ability to identify modern elephant ivory, avoid purchases of anything that material.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:16 pm

State laws also exist so its good to check yours. Mammoth ivory is illegal to sell in California.
Alan

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:07 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:State laws also exist so its good to check yours. Mammoth ivory is illegal to sell in California.

I didn't even think to check state laws until you just told me about it. Looks like in my state Mammoth ivory is still legal, however I believe there are much more restrictive bills pending. Antiques are an exception but they make it almost impossible to prove anything is legitimately antique. Sheesh, this is a complication of this hobby I could really do without. But it's not enough to drive me out of the hobby, I'm trying to do things right.

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:33 pm

I just googled around and found there's a plethora of Mammoth tusks for sale, you can get a whole raw tusk for like 2K. For some reason others that look similar are 100K.

I almost feel like I should buy a few before they're no longer available, for when I learn to carve my own netsuke 20 years from now. I'm going to need something to do in retirement. How much mammoth ivory could there possibly be in the world? I would have thought less than 100 of those animals had ever been found but it sounds like they've found an incredible number of them if you can still get one for like 2K. I guess you can probably buy a whole mammoth for not much more.

This is such an interesting hobby, full of intrigue!

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 am

UPenn wrote: How much mammoth ivory could there possibly be in the world? I would have thought less than 100 of those animals had ever been found but it sounds like they've found an incredible number of them if you can still get one for like 2K. I guess you can probably buy a whole mammoth for not much more.
This is such an interesting hobby, full of intrigue!

There is a lot of mammoth ivory around coming from Alaska, Siberia, etc. A whole mammoth fossil skeleton is rather expensive and require a good sized room with high ceiling if the head is raised to show off the tusks. You could get a cave bear mount a lot cheaper and get by with 10 ft ceilings. Like netsuke, prices are very quality dependent. Heck, why not go for a narwhal tusk? Easy to mount on a wall.
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:14 am

As someone mentoned on the other thread, it is a fallacy to think that Netsuke = ivory. Netsuke are objects with a defined function, and an artistic remit.

They can be made with any suitable material, and although not exclusively each carver tended to have a preference. Likewise, collectors today may find themselves looking for ceramic Netsuke, or those in wood, or stag antler, or lacquer, for example.

If ivory is your thing however, there are many kinds of ivory, of differing legal staus, including land and marine ivories, and vegetable ivory such as Tagua nut.
Piers

Size is something.

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:26 pm

chonchon wrote:As someone mentoned on the other thread, it is a fallacy to think that Netsuke = ivory. Netsuke are objects with a defined function, and an artistic remit.

They can be made with any suitable material, and although not exclusively each carver tended to have a preference. Likewise, collectors today may find themselves looking for ceramic Netsuke, or those in wood, or stag antler, or lacquer, for example.

If ivory is your thing however, there are many kinds of ivory, of differing legal staus, including land and marine ivories, and vegetable ivory such as Tagua nut.

Thanks Piers, my first Netsuke was a toad made of wood so I am not subject to that fallacy. But I imagine that something like a Tomotada Ox with the insane intricate detail could only really be done in something like ivory, maybe tagua. I'm sure I'm like many others, I love ivory, I LOVE ivory, there's something just awesome about it that no other material has. Yet on the other hand I would never want to do anything to promote the poaching of the world's precious wildlife. I'm not even sure why I'm saying this, you all know the dilemma.

Return to “Beginning Collecting”