netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Ashtray netsuke

A forum to discuss different forms of Netsuke such as Katabori, Manju, Ryusa etc
lohrberg

Re: Ashtray netsuke

Postby lohrberg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Sorry Piers,
ashtray netsuke are your speciality. And this one shoulld obviously better rest in your house to feel comfortable. With me it is a loner, crying for the home country. Size matters, as you point out in your posts, and this netsuke's size in diameter is a heavy 7,8 cm.
It could have been with a Samurai, as the pouch is decorated with a Japanese Matchlock Pistol. The pouch is also larger than normal and the whole set is heavy.
I just checked google and found a short scetch at You Tube with the title:
"Demonstration of Japanese traditional matchlock by Samurai girl". Charming to watch,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-35RoW8qHs

Reinhard
Attachments
004.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
Last edited by lohrberg on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 pm

OK Reinhard, now we are talking! I love it!!! :)
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Oh, and the samurai girl is a member of the Iwakuni troop just west of here in Hiroshima! Needs a little more practice!

Here we are yesterday in Yakage. You can hear in the background the cry "Shitani, Shitani!" (eyes lowered!) as the Daimyo Procession advances step by step along the main street of this Edo town.

The action starts after 12:00 minutes in.

There are two female samurai warriors firing first, then various volleys with long guns, and then pistols, followed by bigger and bigger guns all the way up to a 100 Monme hand cannon. It finishes at the 43 minute mark!

(If you want to spot me, I am wearing a red coat at the far end, and the camera occasionally zooms in. You can see me close up firing the 20 Monme, the first of the bigger hand cannons, from 29:40 to 31:30. My white Netsuke can be glimpsed from around 31:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6alKeQ8WZc
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:29 pm

What a perfect set for to to display at these events Piers! You need to work out a deal with Reinhard. Your samurai buddies will want to tamp out their burning matchlock cords on your netsuke though. Thanks for showing it, Reinhard, and Piers for the video.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Really nice to see you in action, Piers! Very Impressive! I watched and was really taken by how difficult it must be to move and maneuver at all in the armor. The weapons look very heavy too. It seemed you had to hold them in a strange way which must be awkward getting used to firing them. I really enjoyed watching. Thanks!
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 am

Wishing again that we had 'like' buttons here, Alan and Judy. So kind of you. :) Oh, and yes, I am contacting Reinhard ASAP.

There are different styles of firing, Judy, and one is called the 'floating boat' 浮船 (ukibune) for shooting over tall reeds etc. 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 am

Nothing like to see you in all your grandeur dear Piers. I just can imagine how long it take to prepare a parade like that and how much effort to make it all perfect as we see. Congratulations and thank you for sharing :D
Nec spe nec metu

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 am

Carlo, yes, as you point out, the rest of the iceberg is hidden beneath the surface! :D
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Netsuke Types”