netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

latest purchase

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Victor

latest purchase

Postby Victor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:58 am

Good morning, some pictures of my latest purchase, I was drawn to this little guy by the expression on his face, his eyes looking skyward, his pose and I'm pleased with the composition and perspective of little fella. height 52mm. I'm interested to know what he's holding and help with the signature would be appreciated.
Attachments
DSCF0006 (2).JPG
DSCF0008 (2).JPG
DSCF0003 (2).JPG
DSCF0001 (2).JPG
DSCF0010 (2).JPG

chonchon

Re: latest purchase

Postby chonchon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:26 pm

The upside-down signature says 正一 (Masakazu).

He looks to be dancing and maybe striking a mokugyo...?
Could this be Daruma?
Last edited by chonchon on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Looks like a local village festival musician striking a small mokugyo- like bell/percussion instrument - I see that Piers has beaten me to it! If it is meant to portray a dancing Daruma then that adds a bit of humour to someone who lost the use of his legs through meditation!

John 

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:28 pm

This is a charming little fellow, Victor. I also like his upward gaze, and agree that he is holding a small mokugyo, and striking it with a mallet. He seems to be calling people to come and celebrate some occasion. I am also wondering what he is trying to stand on - it seems an unstable platform for him, and he is likely to fall if he tries to stand on top of it! That adds a little drama to the composition. A fun possibly Taisho/ Showa okimono netsuke. Congrats on finding a sweet keeper from that era.
Judy

Victor

Postby Victor » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks Judy, thanks for your comments on this little charmer, pity he's not free standing, whatever he is standing on is simple so he can stand. I believe if he was indeed carved by Masakazu, Piers kindly read the signature for me , then the netsuke dates from a little earlier, the meiji era. I was looking at the signature from the wrong perspective ie. upside down, what a clot I am !! but I'm learning slowly. I really like this little piece and with my limited budget I have buy the items that appeal, if my finances allow. He's definitely one of my 'keepers', best regards Victor

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi again, Victor. He is a sweet little guy. Looking at some images that Piers put on his thread recently, the last image is of a little boy striking a "warrior" pose, with one leg up as though to prepare to attack! I thought of your netsuke, and it seems to me, that this might be some added humor in that the little boy is too clumsy to be able to balance on one foot to create some drama, and so he is steadying himself by propping his leg on some rocks. The thought of that made me smile even more.
I do think that you need to consider that there are many carvers who signed the simple kanji that make up Masakazu. To me, the style of the carving and the himotoshi done in the manner they are done in is a fair indication of age. Don't take my word for it, do your own research on the kind of carving the famed Masakazu did, study his pieces, and come to your own decision. It is a hard job that we all have to undertake, but it is important that what we find out allows us to be honest with ourselves and the next owner down the line. This little guy is nothing to be ashamed of or be disappointed in, no matter his age.
Attachments
DMG028-thumb-autox300-1435.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Victor, I agree with Judy's assessment that this is a later carver who signed Masakazu.
Alan

Return to “Collector's Gallery”