netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Hako Netsuke

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Jordi

Hako Netsuke

Postby Jordi » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 pm

There doesn't seem to be much about hako netsuke on the INS website so I'll start the ball rolling with this one. It's a rather nice 19th century black lacquer hako netsuke of rounded rectangular form. The black lacquer ground has been sparingly sprinkled with nashiji flakes (usu[maki] nashiji) so much of the black lacquer remains visible. The decoration also includes scattered kiku-mon (chrysthemum flower) and paulownia-mon in gold hiramaki-e.

As is usual with the inside of objects, the black lacquer interiors of the box and lid have been densely sprinkled with nashiji flakes (kin tsume nashiji). The rims of the box and lid are lined with applied silver or pewter, as yet untested. It's quite similar in style to a 19th century black lacquer hako netsuke of rounded rectangular form signed Koma Kyuhaku saku with scattered kiku-mon and interior of nashiji but with gold fundame rims rather than silver/pewter, which was in the Edward Wrangham Collection untl sold in May 2012 (lot 119). See last photo below.

Length 3.9cm - Width 3.4cm - Height 2.0cm

Would be nice to see other hako netsuke, in particular lacquered ones, from members' collections.

Jordi
Hako netsuke_side.jpg
[/attachment]
Hako netsuke_top.jpg
Hako netsuke_interior.jpg
Hako netsuke_exterior.jpg
Hako netsuke_bottom.jpg
Black lacquer hako by Koma Kyuhaku.jpg

KPR

Re: Hako Netsuke

Postby KPR » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:02 pm

First, the set with the matching inro.

161-001.jpg

Now the Hako Netsuke.
The lid is held with the cord.
the container is again closed by a sliding cover.

162-001.jpg

I am not an Inro collector and have no idea of lacquer. Therefore I can not make any further details.
Klaus

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:13 pm

That is a really nice set Klaus. It's always good to see instances where original matching netsuke are retained with the inro. I've only one inro set like that with an original matching lacquered netsuke.

Don't think I've ever seen a hako netsuke before with a sliding cover over the compartment as well as being covered by the lid. Seems like an unusual arrangement with the cord wrapped around the lid to hold it in place. Just a beautiful set, thanks for posting!

Jordi

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:12 am

First Jordi, what a lovely little box! As close to perfect as you'll ever find. Congratulations.
In their full size this style of box was for a lady of high status, a sort of cosmetics or beauty box, for everyday essentials. I have two of these originals, but the most beautiful ones are to be found in museums. They were popular around the Muromachi/Momoyama Period. Called Tebako, 手箱, meaning hand box, there is a famous one in the Urashima story, called Tamatebako 玉手箱, or jewel (hand) box.
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Here are some real full-sized 手箱 Tebako. (Klaus, how does the top section stay on yours?)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%e6 ... &FORM=IGRE
Piers

Size is something.

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks Piers. I'm very pleased with this acquisition. I like being able to satisfy my love of Japanese lacquer with collecting netsuke.

I wasn't aware that hako netsuke such as this were miniature versions of full-size tebako so thanks for that information.

Jordi

Tama

Postby Tama » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Jordi, your hako box netsuke is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on your find. I am very happy for you!

Klaus, your theatre set is beautiful! Thanks for showing us!

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks Tama, glad you like it!

As I prefer to display my inro with ojime and netsuke, for the moment I'm pairing the hako with my Koma Yasumune inro/gilt ojime (ex Tomkinson and Wrangham Collections) as I think it looks good with it, even though the inro is late 18th century rather than 19th.

Jordi

Hako netsuke & Yasumune inro.jpg

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:33 pm

They make a very handsome set, Jordi. I see no problem with mixing centuries.
Alan

Tama

Postby Tama » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Jordi, I like that pairing very much. What a lovely inro. Job well done!

Return to “Collector's Gallery”