netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Meet Netsuke! Exhibition (Mar 15th - May 15th, 2017)

Events, meets and discussions around the Washington DC chapter.
souldeep

Meet Netsuke! Exhibition (Mar 15th - May 15th, 2017)

Postby souldeep » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Anyone finding themselves in Washington D.C. this March/May won't want to miss a visit to the Meet Netsuke! Storytellers of Japan Exhibition at the The Japan Information & Culture Center (JICC).

netsuke2017-large.jpg

As part of the 2017 National Cherry Blossom Festival the JICC will host an exhibition of Netsuke from the Evergreen House Museum, John Hopkins University and from the collection of our very own INS members, Jay & Beverly Hopkins.

Opening hours: 9AM - 5PM (MON - FRI).
Admission: FREE

For more info visit http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/jicc/exhi ... e2017.html
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Re: Meet Netsuke! Exhibition (Mar 15th - May 15th, 2017)

Postby souldeep » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:28 pm

An update from Jay Hopkins;
The opening event is on the evening of March 15th, 6:00pm to 8:30pm. The public is welcome, though contacting the organizers is advisable.

The Komada family are the guests of honour. Ryushi will give a carving demonstration and Makiko will narrate and give a talk.

The exhibition will be up for two months and Rosemary Bandini will be the headliner for the closing ceremony on May 15th.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:36 am

A netsuke exhibition in Washington, D.C. is great news. The museums in nearby Baltimore have some wonderful collections--many of you who were at the 2015 convention will remember the trips to the Walters Art Museum and Evergreen House, and some of the netsuke from Evergreen will now be visiting with the ones that Jay is kindly lending. The museums in DC, though, have very few netsuke as far as I know--just a few early wood ones at the Freer /Sackler gallery that are neither exhibited nor featured on the website. So this is a rare event here. I'll try to give at least a brief report on it--don't know if photography will be allowed.

Alison

Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 am

Very cool! Agreed, for all it's museums, DC is lacking in netsuke. I don't expect I'll be able to visit during this exhibition, but hopefully it will set a precedent for more such shows.
Ryan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 am

Great new Alison - a write up and some photos would be really appreciated by all of us who can't make the trip :)

Can you attend the opening and closing events, these would be really great to blog?

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 am

An update from Rosemary Bandini, who on the closing evening will provide...
...a talk, telling the human stories of collecting, the themes found in netsuke and the way in which they have brought an insight into the culture of Japan to the West.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm already signed up for the opening event, Martyn; Rosemary's summary of her closing talk sounds marvelous, and I'm putting it on my calendar to sign up.

Alison

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 am

Some further information, from Brooksie Koopman of the lWashington, DC area INS chapter:

There are several wonderful netsuke events to be aware of over the next few months. To keep this email "short", I will list the events and links and you can go to them for the details.

1. March 15 at 6 pm, opening night of exhibit of netsuke from Evergreen House and Jay and Beverly Hopkins' collection at the Japan Information and Culture Center (JICC), Washington, DC. sponsored by the Embassy of Japan and others. All of us are invited to this event, but you must register (there is no charge) and bring an ID. Space is limited. Please see http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/jicc/even ... ening.html and elsewhere on the site for details of opening night, how to register, and more information on the exhibit. There will be a carving demonstration by Ryushi with translation by his daughter Makiko Komada.

2. March 15 to May 15. The netsuke exhibit will be ongoing at the Japan Information and Culture Center at 1150 18th Street NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20036. There will be a catalogue for which the price has not been set yet, but will be about $30. I don't know if the catalogue will be available on opening night.

3. March 16, at 6:30 pm at the Freer/Sackler of the Smithsonian, there is a lecture on netsuke and another netsuke carving demonstration by Ryushi

"Discover netsuke, artful miniature sculpture from Japan’s Edo period, through a discussion with Freer|Sackler curator James Ulak and a demonstration by master netsuke carver Ryushi Komada. Before the introduction of European fashions, Japan was a "world without pockets." Men carried their belongings in small pouches suspended from their kimono with toggles, or netsuke, which were enviable symbols of status. "

and see http://www.asia.si.edu/events/lectures.asp for more information.

4. April 10 at 6:30pm at the Japan Information and Culture Center there will be a Rakugo or professional Japanese storyteller linking netsuke and Japanese stories . Keep watch on the JICC site for further details.

5. May 15, Closing night of the JICC exhibit. There will be a closing event with a lecture by Rosemary Bandini of London. Again, keep watch on the JICC site for further details.

Yesterday the local evening news had a clip on Jay Hopkins and the netsuke exhibit which you can find here http://wjla.com/news/local/japanese-art ... ival-in-dc .

The Washington Post should also have an article on the exhibit about March 11.

Alison

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm

You can buy the catalog from this exhibition if you act very quickly as supplies are quite limited:

The catalogue for the current netsuke exhibit in DC can be obtained through the Japan-America Society, not the Japanese embassy:

http://www.jaswdc.org/meet-netsuke-stor ... -of-japan/
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks for crediting the Japan-America Society, David. I should have done that in my posts about the exhibition. And yes, it's a small edition, so anybody who wants to haul one away will need to hustle like these guys!
red rats inro.jpg

Alison

Return to “Washington DC (USA)”