netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Crane Ojime

Nio

Crane Ojime

Postby Nio » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:50 am

Crane Ojime 1.jpg
Crane Ojime.jpg
My daughter was recently married and as a gift from all the guests present to her and her new husband I gave her this ojime on a miseru and chain. With the story in brief that to the Japanese cranes signify longevity and the dancing cranes signify happiness so all present wished them a long and happy life together.
Last edited by Nio on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nio " I never learn anything from listening to myself "

NetsukeManiac

Re: Crane Ojime

Postby NetsukeManiac » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:55 am

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:40 am

Nio, what a thoughtful gift. A great piece.
Not sure you wanted the photos to just show as attachments as I could not enlarge them when I clicked on the photos.
If, after they upload from your files, you click on "place in-line" we will get a larger view of the pieces. Files up to a certain size (about 200Kb) will load in-inline and appear larger with no option to click to enlarge. Those files that are larger will be placed as smaller image but when we click on the image it will enlarge.
Personally, I'd like to see your (daughter's) piece appear in the larger format!
Dave, that's a nice well-used piece.
Alan

angel

Postby angel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:13 pm

Nio, that's a beautiful ojime. And express your feelings to your daughter the best possible way. She appreciated the real mind. Congratulations.
Dave I also like your netsuke, the resemblance is very interesting. Sculptor different, but the same scene and meaning. Nice pieces.

Nio

Postby Nio » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:08 am

Alan, I have placed in line, has this come through better for you

Dave, Another much worn and loved crane ojime, thank you for sharing it has a lot of similarities.

Angel, Could we possibly see some pics of your avatar?

Bill
Nio " I never learn anything from listening to myself "

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:28 am

Thanks, Bill. They seem to appear the same so the original files might not have been that large. At any rate we can see it is a desirable piece.
Alan

angel

Postby angel » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Of course Nio.
This particular ojime was my first piece.
IMG_5643.JPG
This photograph I made it with different light, is better than the others.
It represents four birds flying over a sea of big waves. The eyes are inlaid horn. It is 18 millimeters.
IMG_5410 2.JPG
IMG_5408 2.JPG
IMG_5414 2.JPG
IMG_5413 2.JPG
IMG_5412 2.JPG
IMG_5418 2.JPG
IMG_5409 2.JPG
IMG_5407 2.JPG

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:41 am

Angel, have you considered what kind of birds they are? Are they plovers? There is a long-billed plover in China but with over 600 species I have not looked through the list of birds in Japan. Perhaps any time we see low flying birds of similar form to yours flying over water in Japanese art we have just been calling them plovers? In this Hiroshige print hanging in my entry you can see similar birds below the ship and a flock in the distance above.
20160429_172114-1.jpg
Hiroshige ukiyo-e with plovers
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:07 am

What a great print, Alan, and what a clever spot! You must be right.

Plovers are called チドリ or 千鳥 Chidori (literally 'thousand birds') in Japanese and they are often found in designs with waves. I have a lacquer tray with this motif. My Japanese bird book, however, had no examples and no mention in the index, and this was seriously frustrating me, until I noticed the title of the stupid book, "Birds of the mountains and fields".
Piers

Size is something.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:09 am

The bill of the birds depicted isn't like that of the plover family.. but another feature, what looks like a crest in the carving.. together with waves and the heavy bill (even if not quite long enough) could be suggestive of another bird found in Japan.. the Greater Crested Tern

Crested_Tern_Tasmania.jpg

Probably not a specific species though.. just a generic bird.
Last edited by Clive on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ojime”