netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Simple pipe cases for daily use, Mingei style

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
KPR

Re: Simple pipe cases for daily use, Mingei style

Postby KPR » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:17 pm

This is my favorite piece.
A frog on a stone lantern, trying to climb up.
Very intensely worn. It has a luster and a color with color change, which can only show stag antler. My favorite material.
171-006.jpg
Klaus

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 pm

neilholton wrote:This theme is a haunch of a deer, a maple leaf a tea kettle. It was a very aristocratic thing to drink warm Sake heated by red maple leaves which turned red in autumn, deer is symbolic of autumn.

Well I never... a haunch of a deer. Cheers Neil.. you're the man :x

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Oh my. Neil can see a pin point in a haystack. How the quality of that carving changes in just one explanation.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:47 pm

KPR wrote:This is my favorite piece.
A frog on a stone lantern, trying to climb up.
Very intensely worn. It has a luster and a color with color change, which can only show stag antler. My favorite material.
171-006.jpg

I can see why Klaus. The patina and wear makes this case look more like a dripping candle than the cases we are more used to.

The frog standing on a garden lantern. What mischieve does he intend by pulling down the vine?

See how the vine goes into the pipe case and back out.

Is it a reminder it's time to light up the pipe?
Last edited by souldeep on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Clive wrote:
KPR wrote:Are these tea leaves?
Perhaps a sales product of the hobby gardener that Martyn has described. :lol:

pipecase mystery shape.jpg

Leaves yes but what else has me totally stumped.. a very odd looking shape indeed.. presuming that's how it was carved and is not the result of some damage that was then been rounded off.. maybe as Doug suggests, a budding Camilia flower (??) :?

Sorry- confusion there. I've seen camelias as sagemono themes. I wasn't suggesting that for this one. Just tea leaves

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:04 pm

This case Klaus is very interesting. I am not sure if the little frog was hanging from the branch (magnolia?) and it has snapped and he fallen onto the lantern. Or is this a stupa/sharito? which has broken the little frogs fall. Contained within the lantern are little globes which might be shari. The souls of the believers (Buddhist). I bet somewhere there is a poem which explains the meaning. I don't know the meaning but the above are possibilities. It certainly has a very deep feeling to the piece, I think religious.

Sometimes you will see a netsuke of an Eji, warming his rear against a stone lantern which lights the way in the dark night. The poor temple servant can never quite reach the top thus heating his bottom, but it also means he is showing his rear to a sacred object so mocking religion.

I like both your cases you have listed Klaus :love: Deep meanings to both, smoking and deep meaning clearly had a relationship back in the day in Japan.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:29 am

Rustic simplicity indicating the origins of tea, and a Rusu Moyo Daruma/zen suggestion. Camellia Sinensis bush/branch/leaves, and a mountain cave...? (The entrance forming the himotoshi?)
Piers

Size is something.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 am

From top down: Karako, Hotei, Karako, Bishamonten, Daikoku. I think.

P1030437.JPG
P1030440.JPG
P1030441.JPG
P1030439.JPG

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:28 am

Nice case Dave. I agree with the lucky God's but I'm not so sure those are karako although that seems logical.
Alan

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:08 am

Maybe Benzaiten instead of Bishamonten.

Return to “Sagemono Types”