netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

pipe case addition

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
lohrberg

Re: pipe case addition

Postby lohrberg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:20 am

I would like to wind up with KOSHIN

as this is the last of the pipecases of this lacquer master in my hands. This piece all over lacquer. A scene in the early morning with a crane standing on one leg on a gnarled branch of a pine tree, the rising sun in the back. Brown, silver, gold and red makie on an ishime ground,

Reinhard
Attachments
008.jpg
008a.jpg
008b.jpg
008c.jpg

mss

Postby mss » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Lovely pipe cases, Koshin truly a master.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:06 pm

I like the way the crane is seen from behind looking back over its shoulder. Joshing was a great artist.
Alan

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Before I get back to lacquer pipecases,
which will be in about 3 weeks, I would like to refer to a kiseruzutsu thread, that had been locked in January 2016 because of "Forum Problems". It had been a discussion between Milton, Clive Hallam, Kikue and me concerning ebony carved pipecases of Kai ko and Kai seki.
Another artist, a carver came into my collecting world. The same style as Miltons Kai ko piece, same material, same as Kai seki.
As far as I was told the carver of the pipecase shown here is KAI TO. Very similar reading. Is he the same person? Who is he? Or was the wrong reading given to me by the dealer?

Please see the images. I did not find out in the shortness of time, what kind of flower is in the design,

Reinhard
Attachments
069-01.JPG
069-02.JPG
069-03.JPG
069-04.JPG

mss

Postby mss » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Reinhard, I have seen several cases with similar motifs which appear to be from the same "school". Signatures have been read as Kaiko, Kaiseki, and Kaito. Hope you find included images of interest.

The Kaito signature pictured is best I can do from the published images (enlarged and sharpened from web), although do believe the To kanji is the same as your piece.

From top: Kaiko case w/ signature
Kaiseki case w/ signature (Atchley collection)
Kaito case w/ signature and seal
your Kaito signature
another Kaiko case w/ signature (ex. Bushell)
Attachments
Kaiko case.jpg
Kaiko sig.jpg
2554349.png
Kaiseki sig.png
Kaito lacquer case.jpg
Kaito.png
069-04.JPG
Kaiko bushel.png
Kaiko-Bushell copy.tiff

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:25 pm

lohrberg wrote:Please see the images. I did not find out in the shortness of time, what kind of flower is in the design,

Reinhard

I believe it's a clematis.

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 am

Hello Doug,
thank you very much for answering my question so fast. Clematis.

I compared the blossom and also the buds on the pipecase with images shown on google. No doubt about it = Clematis.
From your personal data given in the Forum I see, that you live in Bloomington, the city's first syllable "blooming" let me think of flowers. A coincidence of course. But a nice name for a city! I also checked about your town on google. It must be a good place to live.
Thanks again,

Reinhard

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 am

If the left of the kanji is 木, then the character could well be Kai, a kind of Chinese tree, ie 槐

The first kanji 槐 seems to change slightly by artist, but the second Kanji in the above photos are 楽 光 and 石, giving 槐楽 Kairaku, 槐光 Kaiko and 槐石 Kaiseki respectively.
Piers

Size is something.

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Lacquer masters in connection with the name syllable KO,

we had some pipecases shown in the Forum by Koshin. He is well known and many data about him given in the literature. Once in a while certain dealers offer his work (actually we can see one in London these days).

I came about another artist starting with KO. His name is KOJITSU. To my guess he is a follower of Koshin, but I have no prove. Others may know him, or may be can come up with examples of his work. I cannot contribute with any facts, just can show this pipecase, which has the well known design of the three friends of winter,

Reinhard
Attachments
066.JPG
066-02.JPG
066-03.JPG
066-04.JPG
066-05.JPG

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:07 pm

I have no info to offer on this artist other than this is a very fine pipecase. For new collectors Shochikubai or the Three Friends of Winter are plum, pine and bamboo.
Alan

Return to “Sagemono Types”