netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

pipe case addition

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
AFNetsuke

Re: pipe case addition

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:19 am

A beautiful pipe case, Reinhard. Is the oizuru more of a box than a bag? I had forgotten the term oizuru and once again you bring us great are and cultural education. Thanks.
Alan

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am

OIZURU,
Alan, it is not a bag, more a box, but not really a box. When I was young and living in a village with farmers around, I remember they used a similar container to carry things. In German we call this "suitcase" KIEPE. The dictionary gives me the english word as PANNIER (new for me).

I attach hereunder examples of japanese pannier,

Reinhard
Attachments
001.jpg
001b.jpg
001c.jpg
001d.jpg

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Armour was kept and carried in boxes like these in Japan. See hitsu, which comes up in words like o-hitsu, yoroibitsu, etc.

http://www.edu.pref.ibaraki.jp/board/bu ... /4-80.html

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g127594338

https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... e%3Dsearch
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 pm

The oizuri is said to be a cloth worn by pilgrims to stop rubbing of the backpack. (?)

https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 8%E3%81%AF
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Perhaps 'alleviate' rather than 'stop'...
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Thank you gentlemen. I think the modern framed backpack is quite an improvement on this. If I come back in my next life as a porter I'll try to spend lots of time at roadside with my kiseru, tonkotsu and ashtray netsuke. :lol:
Alan

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Where is Ikeda Taishin now?

Here is Ikeda Taishin's and his wife's tomb in the Sumida district in Tokyo,

Reinhard
Attachments
1035.JPG
1036.JPG

mss

Postby mss » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm

lohrberg wrote:Let's warm up the pipecase section

What I observe, when someone comes up with pipecases, inro, tonkotsu, bokuto or okimono, is, a flame flickers up for a moment, then it dims down and soon we have ashes.

Please believe me, when I say, it does not disappoint me at all. If there were more collectors, there would be more comments. For the moment pipecase again flickering up.

This one is influenced by Zeshin's famous woodblock print of 1887 Two Crows flying over a red lighted evening Sky.
Both parts of the pipecase are covered with red lacquer. The rim and loop of silver metal. Slightly clowded red lacquer ground decorated in black hiramakie and takamakie with a crow in flight. The red background indicating the sun (morning or evening?)
There are some shades of grey over the sky at some areas, which are clouds. The piece is difficult to photograph. The pictures do not show the whole beauty of the lacquer work.
Signed Taisai.

This pipecase, bought during a convention in Honolulu awakened my interest for lacquer in these subjects. May I awaken your interest as well? An invitation .........

Reinhard

Reinhard, I remembered your post of two crows on red lacquer ground, and while looking through a catalog of the Edson collection of Zeshin, found the following crow on red lacquer, which surely influenced Taisai. It is a lid from a dining set; although not sagemono, hope you find these of interest. Lovely work, he really was a master. (As an aside, the photographer was most creative, the light reflected by the lid is most interesting, suggesting the crescent moon.)

For those who don't remember that older post, include your photo of the Taisai case.

mss
Attachments
Zeshin lid001.jpg
Zeshin set002.jpg
Taisai.png

mss

Postby mss » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 pm

This thread has gone dormant, so thought I'd post a recent acquisition.

A tsuikoku (carved black lacquer) pipe case depicting (the somewhat freely interpreted) tale of the Wisteria Maiden (Fuji Musume). For those not familiar, Fuji Musume is a famous kabuki dance first performed in 1826. The plot: a young man admires a picture of a maiden carrying wisteria so longingly the painting falls in love with him and comes to life. The living painting dances and writes letters proclaiming her love, which remains unrequited . She is heartbroken, and returns to the painting, frozen in her last dance pose.

Interestingly, liberties have been taken with this tale. Somehow, an oni has been injected into the story. Two Japanese prints, the first by Kiyomitsu, dated circa 1765-70, another by Utamaro, dated 1802-03 (images attached), show the Wisteria Maiden and a demon (oni) chanting the name of Buddha (Oni no nenbutsu), and carrying a hogacho (Buddhist subscription list).

This pipe case depicts the scene as shown in the woodblock prints. Prints often inspire inro, less often pipe cases, thought this was an interesting example.

The case is signed Hoji, likely a student or follower of Matsuki Hokei, a late Edo, early Meiji master carver of lacquer. The close-up is of the hogacho the oni carries.

Carved lacquer is a very old technique. Although lacquer was known in Japan in pre-historic times, art lacquerwork as we now know it was originally brought to Japan by Chinese and Korean craftsmen. Judging by the relatively few examples when compared to other lacquer cases, this technique was less commonly employed.

Posting of other examples encouraged. (click for higher resolution)
Attachments
composite 2.jpg
composite 3.jpg
L1030032.jpg
Wisteria Maiden & praying devil-Kiyomitsu print c.1765-70.jpg
Wisteria Maiden & Demon-Utamoro print 1802-03.png

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:59 am

Gosh what a wonderful pipecase and story, mss. I am wondering if the glass artist Galle might not have got his design inspiration from Tsuikoku such as yours...
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... +signature

Recently I bought and posted somewhere on this site an example of a Tsuikoku 'guri' ashtray Netsuke.
Last edited by chonchon on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Sagemono Types”