netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

pipe case addition

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
mss

pipe case addition

Postby mss » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Not much activity on the sagemono topics board, so thought I'd show a pipe case to encourage others to post their kiseruzutsu. Funny story about this piece. I was registered to bid at auction where this case was on offer. It was at the end of the sale, so I did not try to sign in until late. Despite previously being told I was registered, could not access bidding form. Luckily, a trusted dealer was at the auction, and a text about 10 lots before the case was auctioned resulted in a "no problem, I'll bid for you" reply.

I'm particularly fond of stag antler cases. In hand, a hefty, solid piece. This might qualify as a so-called teppo-zutsu type case (straight otoshi type, but with an entire middle section cut away allowing pipe to be visible--as compared to the more common otoshi variant where perforations allow only glimpses of the contained pipe ). Signed Sozan. (clicking on photos displays improved resolution)
Attachments
L1020390.jpg
L1020394.jpg
L1020399.jpg

AFNetsuke

Re: pipe case addition

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:53 pm

That's a really nice one Milton. Would have been a shame if you had not had the dealer representing you. Have you seen other pipe cases by this artist? I'm surprised more people who like stag antler are not building kiseruzutsu collections along with their netsuke.
Alan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:01 pm

From the Cologne Convention. This Senryuzutsu is 19th century Tokyo school carved of boxwood and signed Ko-ho-gen Raku-Min. It holds a bamboo stem kiseru with solid silver bowl and mouthpiece signed Jun-gin. Obviously it is a rain dragon. It holds a Tama in outstreched arms. Eyes inlaid in bone. Many cases of this type have little detail under the area the pipe covers. This one shows a nice segmented abdomen.
Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 09.09.28.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 09.12.17.png
Alan

mss

Postby mss » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:That's a really nice one Milton. Would have been a shame if you had not had the dealer representing you. Have you seen other pipe cases by this artist? I'm surprised more people who like stag antler are not building kiseruzutsu collections along with their netsuke.

Thank you, Alan

in NKSJ, 4/2, p. 17 the signature Sozan is shown, the case is not pictured, but description is of a lacquer pipe case. Pg 820 of MCI shows the Shozan signature with illustration of an ivory netsuke of Shoki sharpening his sword.

In regard to your rain dragon senryu-zutsu, here's another similar one. Look related to me.
Attachments
IMG_8775.jpg
IMG_8782.jpg
IMG_8778.jpg

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Milton, thanks. The two rain dragon cases certainly look related to me as well. Do you own this piece?
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 am

Milton's Sozan Shishi piece is very nice, and congratulations on the quick-thinking bucket-relay purchase. Sometimes with a large window, the pipe can be inserted through it.

Loving your Kohogen Rakumin dragon, Alan, and the other one illustrated. Yours seems to be drawing in the heavenly smoke with relish. 8-)

I will have a check and see if there is anything in the boxes worth adding to this thread. Sadly many of the pipe cases of Milton's design seem to have suffered badly over the years, at least the ones I find in antiques fairs over here.
Piers

Size is something.

mss

Postby mss » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:30 am

AFNetsuke wrote:Milton, thanks. The two rain dragon cases certainly look related to me as well. Do you own this piece?

Yes.

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:41 am

Lovely pipe case Milton, the red stain on the low ground really sets the Shishi off. I haven't seen that before, is it a stain or some other method of colouring?

mss

Postby mss » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:33 pm

MakkaPakka wrote:Lovely pipe case Milton, the red stain on the low ground really sets the Shishi off. I haven't seen that before, is it a stain or some other method of colouring?

Thank you. I do believe there has been staining, in hand, the color is not quite as red tinged as the photos. The staining you refer to is similar to what is seen in the interior of the case, a dark burgundy tinged brown, although the overall intensity has slightly faded on the front compared to the interior. The pipe case is quite solid in hand, must have been shed by a mature animal. Interestingly, the case came with a pipe which I believe was chosen to complement the color of the case. Posting images of how it looks in situ (click for higher resolution). Says a lot about the fashion sense of Meiji Japan.
Attachments
L1020404.jpg
L1020406.jpg
L1020407.jpg

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Milton, maybe you can help clear up something for me. Someone told me that those 90 degree bent-pipe bowls were designed for cigaret(te)s, thus they are later than traditional Kiseru. When cigaret(te)s were still valuable, people who did not really need to smoke more than a bowlful of tobacco would snip them into sections and fit them into the top of such a kiseru. True/false? I have two of them and was a little disappointed, and for some reason I never followed up the guy's suggestion. :?: Or is yours slightly different again, with a small bowl designed to fit into a tight space???
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Sagemono Types”