netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Possible tobacco sagemono?

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
carlomagno

Re: Possible tobacco sagemono?

Postby carlomagno » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:54 am

small pipes and tobacco containers were part of the dayly life in Japan, extended habit to even the lower ranks in the society. This set is the most simple ever see, a piece of horn with cover as the container and the Kizeru is just simple wood. Vey cheap but the skull ojime attracted my attention
Attachments
IMG_0387.JPG
Nec spe nec metu

BAMBAML19

Postby BAMBAML19 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks for the info, and very cool piece, the skull is what caught my eye as well!
My niche collectable is momento mori type items and I've long searched for those types of Netsukes but they seem to be among the most desirable and thus expensive and unfortunately often faked.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:48 am

BAMBAML19 wrote:Thanks for the info, and very cool piece, the skull is what caught my eye as well!
My niche collectable is momento mori type items and I've long searched for those types of Netsukes but they seem to be among the most desirable and thus expensive and unfortunately often faked.

Mr. Bambaml9...

Here one sterling silver momento mori.
An exquisite solid sterling silver weighing a very heavyl 122 grams and measuring approximately 1.5" (4 cm) in height.
Depicting an anatomical skull with a Raven perched atop.
Exquisite detail throughout.
Memento Mori is a Latin phrase translated as "Remember your mortality", "Remember you must die" or "Remember you will die". It refers to a genre of artworks that vary widely but which all share the same purpose: to remind people of their mortality, an artistic theme dating back to antiquity.
Remarkable and immaculate worksmanship, worthy of display in a museum collection.
Typically such pieces were carved from I-V-0-R-Y, with Sterling Silver examples far and few between, most in Museum and Institutional collections.
This one is considered rare.
Provenance: from a Russian & French 0ld private european collections

Carlo...
about simple tobacco containers here one very simple already posted in the old forum...cover in ivory, body in vegetal ivory, both signed by different very well know artists in cooperation...
Attachments
Copia di THE LUB COLLECTION.jpg
THE LUB COLLECTION (3).jpg
THE LUB COLLECTION (2).jpg
THE LUB COLLECTION (4).jpg
The LUB Collection (11).JPG
The LUB Collection (14).JPG
The LUB Collectionj Ryukei I 010.jpg
The LUB Collectionj Ryukei I 009.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Return to “Sagemono Types”