netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Gold Lacquered Inro of Flowers & Plants

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
Jordi

Gold Lacquered Inro of Flowers & Plants

Postby Jordi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

As there is not much action lately in the Sagemono section, I'll post this inro I bought quite recently.

The inro depicts flowering trees and plants in gold hiramaki-e and takimaki-e on a gold kinji ground, the raised takimaki-e of the little hillocks decorated in kirikane, small rectangular gold flakes set into wet lacquer.

The leaves are lacquered in two different shades of gold while the flowers on the tree are in a dark grey, almost black lacquer. The star-shaped flowers on the plants depicted on the lower two cases are metal, most likely shakudo, copper mixed with a little gold. Some small beads of gold are also placed on the hillocks, perhaps representing rocks. As often seen, the inside of the cases is lacquered in densely sprinkled nashiji.

Overall, this unsigned inro is in very good condition, both externally and internally. The ojime is celadon jade.

Jordi
Attachments
1. Gold lacquer inro.jpg
2. Gold lacquer inro.jpg
3. Gold lacquer inro.jpg
4. Gold lacquer inro.jpg
5. Gold lacquer inro.jpg

Tama

Re: Gold Lacquered Inro of Flowers & Plants

Postby Tama » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Nice condition, every inro I have seen at auction lately have been damaged and the prices are still in the higher range. Good find Jordi!

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks Jill! Yes, I'm trying to avoid buying any inro with damage as well but, as you say, so many in auctions are damaged in one way or another, especially on eBay.

I'm happy with this purchase as I bought this inro from a small UK auction house at a good price and with inexpensive in-house postage (something I always look for or the-Saleroom's inexpensive delivery service).

Not sure what will happen after the UK leaves the EU but presumably imports from the UK will then incur an additional tax. Antiques over 100 years old attract a reduced rate of 13% when imported from outside the EU, so I imagine I will have to factor that in when bidding, making it less attractive to buy from auction houses there.

Jordi

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 pm

A great description of your inro, Jordi.
Maybe a representation of autum with the bush clover, etc?
Alan

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks Alan. I looked up Japanese bush clover and your knowledge of botany is spot on. It does indeed look like that shrub, which flowers late summer and into autumn.

Jordi

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am

A lovely object Jordi. Congratulations.
Piers

Size is something.

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Thanks Piers :)

Return to “Sagemono Types”