netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Gold-lacquered inro - Chinese symbols

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
Jordi

Gold-lacquered inro - Chinese symbols

Postby Jordi » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:50 pm

This is a 19th century gold-lacquered inro I purchased some months ago. It is decorated all over with numerous auspicious Chinese characters. The interior is of nashiji and it measures 8.6cm long. Condition is good apart from a little lacquer wear on the top edges. Despite some research, I have no idea as yet what any of the symbols mean.

Came with a rather nice carved stag horn ojime, which was neither shown or mentioned in the sale description, so a nice bonus. Sadly, there was no netsuke with it.
Attachments
6. Ojime.jpg
5. Ojime.jpg
4. Chinese symbols inro.jpg
3. Chinese symbols inro.jpg
2. Chinese symbols inro.jpg
1. Chinese symbols inro.jpg

jbjtennyo

Re: Gold-lacquered inro - Chinese symbols

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Very Majestic looking, Jordi! I like it.. We are on our way out, so don't have time to look closely, but will later. In the mean time, maybe Piers or Kikue will come on with answers--they can read it quickly, whereas this would be a Slow process for me! I'll be back though to see if there is anything, and also to have a look! Good luck.
Judy

kikue

Postby kikue » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:36 pm

I see several different versions of 寿 or 壽 (kotobuki or ju), meaning long life and best wishes.

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:41 pm

Thanks Judy and Kikue. I was very pleased with this purchase and it actually looks far better in hand than in the photos. I've spent hours on the symbols but no wiser. Thanks so much Kikue for your translation of some. I hadn't thought of different versions of some symbols so I'll do some more work on that aspect too.

DanielTorJJ

Gold lacquered inro Chinese symbols

Postby DanielTorJJ » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi
Sorry if I am being really thick but I have recently joined this forum but in some of the posts where I think there is probably a chinese symbol, all i can see is a little box
Do I need to set up my computer to recive the image?
Thanks for your help.
Rach

any luck with chinese symbols?

alain.D

Postby alain.D » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:52 am

Yes, an interesting inro with those kotobuki : they are all different version of the Kanji JU, even the one quite unusual which looks like some tad-pole.
This tencho writing shows very well the interest of the Japanese for the Chinese culture in the Edo period.

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks Alain for your very helpful comments confirming they are all variations of Ju and apologies for not replying earlier as I had overlooked it.

Jordi

Return to “Sagemono Types”