netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bokuto

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
carlomagno

Re: Bokuto

Postby carlomagno » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:04 am

Being not an scholar, I'm just pointing to cultural changes in Japan after Shogunate era, not specifically bokuto, or bokuto' a origin, and how wealth demonstration, necessary for the new upper class the merchants, provoke exuberance even luxury in functional objects as sagemono and bokuto in between others. But once the first stage of West assimilation was complete, this precious objects we collect were transformed in almost mass production to please the taste of the main European houses and saloons, japonniserie fashion is a good example of that influence.
Nec spe nec metu

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:07 pm

I have really always said I will only concentrate on netsuke, and so other relating objects have been in the outfield. But I have to say that I really love these Bokuto that you have posted, Reinhard. They are really beautiful, and totally different in personality, the first, fine and delicately carved, the second a massive and powerful presence. Thank you for sharing them and peaking my interest to look a little further. I appreciate the good lesson!
Judy

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:22 pm

Why not go for bokuto again after a break of four months with jbjtennyo's last post?

This bokuto belongs to the elegant and sophisticated types. It is all about buddhistm. The bokuto is carved in relief with a lotus leaf wrapped around three sides, and a lotus bud, accentuated in gold hiramakie. Two artists working on it. Signed for the lacquer work by Yomosai (probably a pupil of Yoyusai) and signed for the carving "Shoseisai" and a square seal Shunzan. Inscribed in gold makie with the Sanscrit character AIZEN MYO, the name of the Buddha of Love and Passion.
It measures 74 cm.

This bokuto was surerely meant to be used for the tea ceremony, to purify the athmoshere,

Reinhard
Attachments
015-06.JPG
015-05.JPG
015-04.JPG
015-03.JPG
015-01.JPG

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Elegant indeed!
That is a very beautiful bokuto - most unusual in being signed by the two artisans who created it!

Your interpretation that this is a Buddhist Bokuto, and likely intended for tea ceremonies and the purification of the atmosphere there, is one that makes good sense. So many of the earlier theories advanced for the actual use of a bokuto, such as being "doctor's swords," make much less sense and have been discredited in recent times.

A beautiful, well crafted bokuto there. Thanks for sharing!
An outstanding example of a sagemono item which is still not sufficiently appreciated, while being eminently collectible and often priced quite favorably (I wonder for how much longer in the face of the ivory bans - these are a fine example of learning how to appreciate good old wood). Great to see this thread revived.

Recognize this one, Reinhard?
- some serious work went into carving it!
Attachments
IMG_4490.jpg
IMG_4489.jpg
IMG_4486.jpg
IMG_4485.jpg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:06 pm

xxx

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 am

Let's revive the bokuto thread

Pale, light brown wood. I cannot say, which kind of wood. From the weight, very heavy, may be oak?

It measures 51,5 cm and is carved in the shape of a stylised bird. With protruding breast, its head with a feather bushel resting on its back.
Wing and tail feathers well defined. The end of the bokuto rolled upwards to balance the shape. The sliightly stylised feet resting under its belly. Himotoshi under the feet.

What kind of bird is it? It reminds of a mandarin duck. Clive is the ornithologist, not me,

Reinhard
Attachments
021-02.JPG
021-03.JPG
021-07.JPG

Return to “Sagemono Types”