netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bokuto

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
DSW90049

Bokuto

Postby DSW90049 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Our old Bokuto thread is locked and our current Sansukumi Bokuto thread strayed far, so here is a new thread to show, discuss and learn about Bokuto.

Brought this one home from London.
It is the Dormouse (mistakenly identified as a Squirrel) with Grapes and Vines subject which we've discussed before. It has at least two signatures which I will photograph and post separately when I have better lighting and a bit more energy.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

chonchon

Re: Bokuto

Postby chonchon » Tue May 17, 2016 9:55 am

Spoils of war! 8-) Yes, the photo is too fuzzy to see clearly.

Sympathies on the jet lag. Must have been a massive flight for Californians!!! :shock:
Piers

Size is something.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Better?
If not I'll have to do on my Mac with new pics. This Bokuto is carved all the way around - makes it tricky.

Look for the Dormouse, slightly below Half-way down on second pic.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Tue May 17, 2016 8:29 pm

The dormouse may actually be meant as a squirrel after all, David. I can't paste in a link right now, but if you Google "budo ni risu" and squirrel and grapes you'll find out why. Very suitable for a bokuto, especially a fine one like yours.

Alison

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks Alison.

Here's a better view of the creature, be he or she a squirrel or dormouse - you have to turn it slightly as it is carved, Katabori-style, in the round.

Bokuto=cheap thrills!
Attachments
image.jpeg

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Fri May 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Dear David, when you finished the deal in London, I stood nearby and thought, how good to see, there is a new bokuto collector coming up. There are not so many (known) individuals collecting them.
I would like to add a bokuto, also from the plant world. It is a signed piece by Toku ryo. It shows a flower. I do not know it's name, but I hope, there is someone, who can identify,

Reinhard
Attachments
006.JPG
006x.JPG
006xx.JPG

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri May 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Reinhard, it is a lovely piece. The wood has a nice patina and appears older than many I've seen. I'd there any way to determine approximate age of bokuto in the absence of identifying inscriptions?
Might it show a type of thistle?
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Reinhard, and for your wise counsel in London. While netsuke and the occasional wood Inro and tonkotsu are my main collecting field, I've acquired about 8 Bokuto now. They are delightfully inexpensive when cash flow is short and I am enjoying finding out who else collects them. Yours is gorgeous. Wondering about your enlargement of what appears to be a flower - a peony, perhaps?

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Fri May 20, 2016 11:08 pm

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri May 20, 2016 11:26 pm

Dave, I think the "acorn" is the hanging flower part of a vine and the "wings" are sepals. Is the "tail" some sort of katkin type structure? Except for the ridges it rather reminds me of a ranunculus flower which is not a vine. I'd like to think it was modeled after an actual plant but perhaps it is just fanciful. Go walk some Japanese gardens.
Alan

Return to “Sagemono Types”