netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Gold Lacquer Inlaid Inro after Korin

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
Jordi

Gold Lacquer Inlaid Inro after Korin

Postby Jordi » Fri May 06, 2016 4:24 pm

Okata Korin was a follower and the greatest exponent of the versatile artist and craftsman, Hon’ami Koetsu (1558-1637). Koetsu pioneered a distinctive style of lacquerwork that made use of relatively straightforward techniques of lacquer, with inlays of shell and pewter. His designs are usually in silhouette with little or no interior detail. This inro is decorated with an inlaid chrysanthemum plant on one side and a crane on the other on a fine gold lacquer ground. As you can see, the crane has no interior detail and the chrysanthemum plant is part etched pewter and part mother-of-pearl, again typical of Korin’s Rimpa style. Flowers, in particular, were favoured in Rimpa style. Drawn close up, their carefully composed shapes are emphasised.
Although I believe this inro to be eighteenth century, it is undoubtedly ‘after Korin’ and not the work of Korin himself.
The nestuke is of staghorn with a good patina and portrays a nicely carved karako. The eyes appear to be tiny pieces of shiny black horn.
The ojime is said to be glass but I can’t be sure. It has a few small holes in the polychrome striped surface.

Jordi

Re: Gold Lacquer Inlaid Inro after Korin

Postby Jordi » Fri May 06, 2016 4:29 pm

Here are the photos. Clicked post by mistake a minute ago before photos added. The last two photos are of inro in the V&A and Philadelphia Museum attributed to Okata Korin.

Jordi
Attachments
10. Attr. Korin inro Philadelphia Museum.jpg
9. Attr. Korin inro V&A.jpg
8.  Netsuke.jpg
7. Netsuke.jpg
6. Netsuke.jpg
5. Netsuke.jpg
4. Gold lacquer inro.jpg
3. Gold lacquer inro.jpg
2. Gold lacquer inro.jpg
1. Gold lacquer inro.jpg

calbear

Postby calbear » Fri May 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Jordi, a very nice piece .... I would agree that it's 'after Korin' and probably late 18th/early 19th century ... Here's one of mine in similar 'after Korin' style ... by the way, what are the measurements of the inro? ....

IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri May 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Jordi,
Glad you found your way to the new site!
Is this something you have just purchased? You don't really say, and so I am not sure how to respond.
I believe you are referring to Ogata Korin ( you probably just hit the wrong key spelling his name Okata.) He was as you say from the 17C, and although the images of his inro that I have seen are impressionistic by design -(a style lacking realistic detail), Korin's finish seems to be very fine, with the inlays handled in an almost seamless manner.
It is hard to know an artists intent, but there may have been an attempt to imitate Korin's style in the piece you are showing. Are you thinking it may have been made in late19/early20 century by someone who had an admiration of Korin?
The netsuke seems to be later, but maybe they were paired at a later date?
I am not at all an expert in this, so this is just my humble opinion, and will appreciate hearing what other collectors have to say.
Judy

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Fri May 06, 2016 11:42 pm

calbear wrote:Jordi, a very nice piece .... I would agree that it's 'after Korin' and probably late 18th/early 19th century ... Here's one of mine in similar 'after Korin' style ... by the way, what are the measurements of the inro? ....

Hi calbear,
I love your inro, so nice. Mine measures 5.75cm high x 5.25cm wide. Thanks for your comments.

Jordi

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Fri May 06, 2016 11:57 pm

jbjtennyo wrote:Hi Jordi,
Glad you found your way to the new site!
Is this something you have just purchased? You don't really say, and so I am not sure how to respond.
I believe you are referring to Ogata Korin ( you probably just hit the wrong key spelling his name Okata.) He was as you say from the 17C, and although the images of his inro that I have seen are impressionistic by design -(a style lacking realistic detail), Korin's finish seems to be very fine, with the inlays handled in an almost seamless manner.
It is hard to know an artists intent, but there may have been an attempt to imitate Korin's style in the piece you are showing. Are you thinking it may have been made in late19/early20 century by someone who had an admiration of Korin?
The netsuke seems to be later, but maybe they were paired at a later date?
I am not at all an expert in this, so this is just my humble opinion, and will appreciate hearing what other collectors have to say.

Hi Judy,

Yes, my mistake, sorry, Ogata Korin. I purchased this about three weeks ago. I did quite a lot of research into Korin (not enough to get his name right!) and do think the style is trying to imitate Korin's work, especially the handling of the chrysanthemum with its mixture of pewter and shell inlay and the rather plain crane lacking detail on the other side. The Japanese seller I bought it off though it was too. He didn't offer a date but I believed it to be late 18th century and not as late as you mention. However, you know a lot more than me.

I doubt the netsuke is contemporary to the inro. I suspect many Japanese sellers are substituting stag horn and wood netsuke for ivory ones in light of the ivory bans.

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Sat May 07, 2016 12:25 am

I should add that my main Japanese interest is in lacquer works of art. Amongst them is a very fine Meji gold lacquer four-lobed kobako, which is the pride of my small collection and a nice silver and black lacquer box, the cover inlaid in katakiribori, shibuichi and shakudo, signed Mitsunobu koku. They are outside the scope of this forum.

I have a few netsuke and other inro as posted previously but from now on, I will most likely just collect inro and if they come with ojime and netsuke, all the better, as this did. I purchased a couple more inro in the past month or two not posted. I really know very little of the karako netsuke with this inro. Thank you for all your comments and help.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat May 07, 2016 12:30 am

hi Jordi,
I am much better versed in netsuke, and not so much with Inro, so my comments were only speculation. That is why I said I was interested in hearing what others have to say about the piece. We are all in the process of learning, even the best experts are still out there digging for what they can discover. I still look forward to hearing other comments from those who know more about Inro than I.
Judy

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Sat May 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi Judy,

Thanks Judy. Your comments and calbear's are much appreciated. I'd be very interested too in learning more. The netsuke is a mundane run-of-the-mill piece but as for the inro, I just re-read the description and noticed the very experienced seller said Edo period so this could indeed be late 18th century/early 19th century as calbear suggested. I found a few more similar pieces in the style of Korin and one most likely by the artist, signed Korin (first photo).

Jordi

Signed Korin inro_ebay.jpg
Style of Korin inro Christies_1.JPG
Style of Korin inro Bonhams_2.JPG
Style of Korin inro Bonhams_1.JPG

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat May 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Here's my pseudo-Korin purchased for the attached Masakatsu frog on well bucket netsuke.
20160507_102956-1.jpg
Alan

Return to “Sagemono Types”