netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Sagemono Questions!

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
dpaul7

Sagemono Questions!

Postby dpaul7 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 am

Hello!

I am new to the group. I have a few Japanese pieces (my main focus is China). I would like to share this piece and get some opinions on it, as to age, etc. Here is what I know: A Sagemono in Bone. 5.5 inches long, 1/2-inches wide. Oxbone. Marks reads Gyokuseki - Gyokuseki carved netsuke and okimono, 19th Century. I certainly welcome comments, as I wish to learn. I have posted this to a forum on Facebook, and it seemed to attract a bit of interest! I really like this piece!
Attachments
long netsuke 1.jpg
long netsuke 2.jpg
long netsuke 3.jpg
long netsuke 4.jpg
long netsuke 8.JPG

AFNetsuke

Re: Sagemono Questions!

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Welcome dpaul7.
You note that it generated interst on Facebook. Was this coming from a group of collectors? To me it looks more recent than 19th century. Might it be a brush holder and I'm thinking it may be of Chinese manufacture? It could also be used as a brush rest.
Alan

dpaul7

Postby dpaul7 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:20 pm

Yes, the replies came from a group of collectors, some in Japan. One said it should be called sagemono, because they were unsure of the usage or purpose. Most felt it was Japanese - but the signature or mark translates to jade stone in Cinese. A very pretty and curious piece, I think!

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the lounge :D

This is 20thc at the earliest. I agree with Alan's observation. A brush holder. Looking at the flecks in the material bone would appear to be the correct material identification. It lacks a quality of carving to be of an identifiable contemporary hand.

We are interested in other items you may have of Japanese origin. Do feel free to share them :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:15 pm

dpaul7, I didn't mean that it is not a sagemono which is a Japanese word for suspended objects hung from the sash. This could certainly be carried that way and brush holders certainly are considered to be sagemono. If it is indeed a brush holder it could be called a fudezutsu (a type of sagemono). I'm just not convinced this one is Japanese or antique. The Gyokuseki I'm finding in my reference books would not seem to be the carver of this item.Did you read the Introduction to Sagemono? I'm going to relocate this topic to that area so perhaps it will get more replies.
Alan

Return to “Sagemono Types”