netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Identification of Noh Mask on Inro and also museum #

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
Solange882

Identification of Noh Mask on Inro and also museum #

Postby Solange882 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Hello: I purchased some inro quite a long time ago (in the 1990's) and have recently upped my game. But for the older ones, I don't have any provenance and frankly, I don't remember where I got many of them. Here is one that appears to be a Noh mask - does anyone know which character it is? And there is also a photo of what appears to be an inventory number - possibly from a museum deaccessioning? Any ideas? Thanks!
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG

chonchon

Re: Identification of Noh Mask on Inro and also museum #

Postby chonchon » Sat May 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Lovely Inro. The character reminds me of the pirate grandmother in Hayao Miyazaki's Laputa, Castle in the Sky. You do not say who you are or what country you are in, so talk of which museum may be a little premature.
Piers

Size is something.

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm

I think it might actually be a gigaku mask (a different form of Japanese theater). I'm not able to tell which one it is- there are several characters with bulbous noses and long ears.

Solange882

Postby Solange882 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Sorry, Chonchon, I am new to the forum and of course you need to know where I am. I'm in Northern California but I may have purchased this inro at one of the Asian Art Fairs at Ft. Mason, so then it could have originated from a dealer in other parts of the world.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:06 am

Solange882 wrote:Here is one that appears to be a Noh mask - does anyone know which character it is?

I agree regarding it's likeness to Gigaku masks. Have a search for Suikoju (used in plays to depict a drunken foreigner) or even Chido (precursor to tengu) - you should find some masks that look very similar.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Sagemono Types”