netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

pipe case addition

A place to discuss and share other forms of sagemono such as Inro, Pipe Cases etc
chonchon

Re: pipe case addition

Postby chonchon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:54 am

Haha Alan, a senior moment I recognize!
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:55 am

mss wrote:Funny story about this piece. I was registered to bid at auction where this case was on offer. It was at the end of the sale, so I did not try to sign in until late. Despite previously being told I was registered, could not access bidding form. Luckily, a trusted dealer was at the auction, and a text about 10 lots before the case was auctioned resulted in a "no problem, I'll bid for you" reply.

Not a funny story for all :cry: Thanks Mr Trusted Dealer :lol: Well.. no hard feelings, and congratulations Milton :D

Moving on. Have you found out anything on Sozan? There's not much info out there. I am aware of four teppo-zutsu style works by him, and possibly, one netsuke. Yours is the only one I've seen with the Mejii stain (almost Asakusa stain isn't it).

Your pipe case does handle well, and it seems to be a feature of the artist. He likes hefty stag pieces. They really come in to their own once in hand. Notoriously difficult to photograph however (I could take tips from you Milton - your shots are lovely - care to share the process?). On this occasion I've attempted, rather poorly, to photograph my teppo-zutsu by Sozan to share with you.

The natural patina on the stag first attracted me to this kiseruzutsu, but then I was drawn on closer inspection by the detailing and deep recesses of the mouth. I don't think I managed to capture it well in the photos, but you get the idea.

N.B. Click on images to view closer work.

DSCF2998.jpg

DSCF2996.jpg

DSCF3001.jpg

DSCF3002.jpg

DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF3009.jpg

DSCF3003.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

mss

Postby mss » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:06 am

lohrberg wrote:
mss wrote:
I'm particularly fond of stag antler cases.

Dear Milton,
as you prefere stag in pipecases, I would like to post this one. It belongs to the Otoshi-zutsu type. The natural antler carved with a bird (nightingale?) in a flowering plum tree, with pine branches and bamboo in the background, crolling clouds at the top.
This came from the Belgium ambassador to Tokyo Jean Verwilghen,

Reinhard

Thank you for showing that lovely piece. Here's another stag case from the Verwilghen collection. Delicate carving in a difficult medium. Ho-o birds amongst paulownia, a symbol of imperial power.

He had a nice collection, Daruma magazine published many of his pieces several years ago.
Attachments
_DSC0601.jpg
_DSC0603.jpg
_DSC0597.jpg

mss

Postby mss » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:11 pm

souldeep wrote:Moving on. Have you found out anything on Sozan? There's not much info out there. I am aware of four teppo-zutsu style works by him, and possibly, one netsuke. Yours is the only one I've seen with the Mejii stain (almost Asakusa stain isn't it).

Your pipe case does handle well, and it seems to be a feature of the artist. He likes hefty stag pieces. They really come in to their own once in hand. Notoriously difficult to photograph however (I could take tips from you Milton - your shots are lovely - care to share the process?).

I like your case, Martyn. We seem to have similar tastes. Do you have photos of the other pipe cases by him?

As to the photography. After a bit of experimentation, I've found a small light box affair with graduated background paper works fairly well. I like the graduated background, black to white, but the dark paper marks easily, which is a pain. Plain white background works well also, but I prefer the former. I've found three lights, on either side and from the top, work well to give a diffused, soft light which allows for good detail. Color corrected low temperature bulbs very important (specifically made for product photography). For netsuke, I take photos from the front, with netsuke standing; for pipe cases, from the top, with the case lying flat.

Even for those who don't wish to get involved in all the details, I want to emphasize how much is learned by photographing a piece. Done correctly, high resolution images reveal detail difficult if not impossible to see handheld. This is especially true when assessing restoration or repair (not a big issue for me, but nice to know).

Enclose a small photo to give you the idea. (Move this post to the photography topic, should you feel it more appropriate).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 7.41.32 AM.png

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi Milton,

Unfortunately I do not have photos of the other two pipe-cases, sorry. I saw them both in London, one in Gray's last year, the other with a north London dealer two or so years back. In both instances, the prices were high for me, but still subsequently sold. As a general rule I rarely photograph when out hunting, I've found dealers to disapprove of this. One subject was a rakan with Halo, the other a tiger and bamboo.

All I have on artists named Sozan is as follows;
sozan84563.jpg

_20170707_151131.JPG

I believe the the first two (manju examples) are a different artist, and are signed differently (more flowing script).

It's possible that the shoki sharpening the sword is the same guy, the signatures are very similar, however the image, and material, makes me think of the hand of Rogetsu.

Finally here is a mask group also signed, in the same manner, as the pipe cases. I'm struggling to draw an attribution between the two though.

01147746.jpg

0246953.jpg

If you have anything more you can share please do :)

Thank you for the photography explanation. The top down for pipe cases is obvious now you say it, but I totally forgot to do that when photographing today. I will be sure to remember in future. Certainly easier than making them balance up right with a small piece of blutack. The graduation is something I can achieve in low light (not as effectively as you), but do not have graduated paper. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

mss

Postby mss » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Thank you. I saw the netsuke in the MCI and Lazarnick, just did not think they were by the same carver. The shishi case does have an Asakusa "feel" to it.

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Let's warm up the pipecase section

What I observe, when someone comes up with pipecases, inro, tonkotsu, bokuto or okimono, is, a flame flickers up for a moment, then it dims down and soon we have ashes.

Please believe me, when I say, it does not disappoint me at all. If there were more collectors, there would be more comments. For the moment pipecase again flickering up.

This one is influenced by Zeshin's famous woodblock print of 1887 Two Crows flying over a red lighted evening Sky.
Both parts of the pipecase are covered with red lacquer. The rim and loop of silver metal. Slightly clowded red lacquer ground decorated in black hiramakie and takamakie with a crow in flight. The red background indicating the sun (morning or evening?)
There are some shades of grey over the sky at some areas, which are clouds. The piece is difficult to photograph. The pictures do not show the whole beauty of the lacquer work.
Signed Taisai.

This pipecase, bought during a convention in Honolulu awakened my interest for lacquer in these subjects. May I awaken your interest as well? An invitation .........

Reinhard
Attachments
012.JPG
012a.JPG
012b.JPG
012c.jpg
Last edited by lohrberg on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Marvelous crow Reinhard.. any chance of a close up of just the bird? Please. :D

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:34 pm

Agreed!!!

Clive, tapping on the image and then finger-spreading it brings the bird up for me fairly well as it's a pixel-dense photograph.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 am

What can you tell us about this artist? I'm unfamiliar with him. It's a striking piece. What sort of person do you suppose would wear it?
Alan

Return to “Sagemono Types”