netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Webinar on Care of Ivory

Tips and advice on looking after your netsuke and sagemono
dougsanders

Webinar on Care of Ivory

Postby dougsanders » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm

https://www.connectingtocollections.org/care_of_ivory/

There will be a free webinar broadcast February 28th 2-3pm EST. Excerpts from the announcement: "This webinar will focus on the collections care of elephant ivory objects and address the other mammal ivories. As all natural ivories share some important similarities, regarding collections care, they are generally treated as a class of related materials. The causes and evidence of damage, as well as preventive measures that can be undertaken, will be discussed. The importance of legal acquisition of ivory and its relevance to the critical protection of living animals will be emphasized. The role of regulatory measures implemented to protect wildlife conservation, such as the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and the Endangered Species Act (ESA), that impact acquisition and travel of raw and worked ivory objects will be noted. Documentation for internal record-keeping and for travel will be addressed. While conservation treatment will not be covered in this webinar, indications of when to contact a conservator for assistance will be noted."

It looks like you have to sign up beforehand, but there is no cost to attend. I'll probably be tuning in, if I can set aside some other work.

-Doug

souldeep

Re: Webinar on Care of Ivory

Postby souldeep » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks for sharing that Doug! it's a good time for us here in the UK. 8 - 9pm.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Handling & Care”