netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Cleaning an umbrella

Tips and advice on looking after your netsuke and sagemono
chonchon

Cleaning an umbrella

Postby chonchon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 am

Recently I came across a sweet little Ama Gasa (parapluie) Netsuke in Japan, but it needs a clean. The Netsuke portrays a folded umbrella, and the 'dirt' lies mostly between the slats of what in real life would have been struts supporting waxed paper. As I was about to purge the grooves of dirt it suddenly struck me that it might not be dirt but the remains of original staining. In which case, the logic would dictate, I should not remove any more than it has already lost.

Does anyone have an umbrella Netsuke, and if so, how do your slats look? 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Re: Cleaning an umbrella

Postby chonchon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:02 pm

This is the Netsuke.

IMG_6721.JPG
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:52 am

Just answered my own question!

With gentle application of a soapy Q-tip ear cleaner, I cleaned away some of the grime. I can see remains of a delimiting line now. There must have been a wide black band around the outside edge of the umbrella. A type of Janome (snake's eye), this one would have had a dark ring around the edge on an overall white background.
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... top_ga1_sa
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 am

Interestingly, it was roughly attached to a brass inro with round wooden ojime, neither of any seeming age or value.

1. The string through the Netsuke was rotted so I replaced that.
Instead of trashing the sagemono, I decided to create a piece for wearing with my armour during displays, surely indestructible, but that no-one would cry over if damaged.

2. Children in the crowd always enjoy bright objects, so I strung together the ensemble below. The wood kagamibuta Netsuke has some age to it, but I never liked the design of the manju or of the copper lid fitted into in it. The Ojime is glass and probably made recently in China. The inro is the brass one originally attached to the umbrella above.

Now if the typhoon will just hold off until our display in Tsuyama this Sunday is done! 8-)

A716C40C-7FD6-41FB-9956-5A60C6E7FE28.jpeg
Last edited by chonchon on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Piers... You are an institution to the membership of this forum. I love reading your investigations and experiments even though I don't always offer comment. This is mainly because I have nothing of value to add, sorry.

I hope the weather holds for Sunday.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 am

Martyn, whatever you say usually has value! Many thanks for the reply. 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 am

Piers, your umbrella netsuke is charming - I love the simplicity of it, and yet I know it must have been tedious to carve! The ojime attached--is it a sort of fan or shell? Very nice. I wish you a beautiful day for your display on Sunday!
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Thank you kindly Judy for your good wishes. The Ojime seems to be in the form of a ginkgo leaf. Actually I had not thought too much about it. Let me check it out once more...
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Handling & Care”