netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Van Ham - The handling session

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
borat

Re: Van Ham - The handling session

Postby borat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:43 am

The tortoise may indeed battle it out with the Osaka boar for 2nd place on the night, IMHO.

The Kyoto Hind & young should achieve at least 30K euro under normal circumstances ... this would retail for much more in a London dealership

Which are your favourite 3 pieces, Martyn?

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 am

borat wrote:Which are your favourite 3 pieces, Martyn?

By a long way, the tortoise. Then the oni by Gessen, followed by the kirin. If there is one kirin to own, in the sense of hand, and iconic status, for me it would be this one. It was made as a functional netsuke.

I have to make a mention of the cow though. Whilst I'm rarely struck by the emotional coldness of kaigyokusai's later works, I found this piece balanced technical and emotional presence.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

borat

Postby borat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 am

That's very interesting Martyn.

Talking about Kirin ... this one is magnificent, but I like Klaus' Kirin a bit better (aka the "Holton Kirin"). I would appreciate if Klaus could comment sometime on the relationship of this Kirin to his & the Meinertzhagen one :)

borat

Postby borat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:18 am

The last memorable piece by Goho, was the wood rat with chestnut from the Dr James Rose collection @ Bonham's New York about 4 years ago ... this achieved $48 K USD ... but is definately inferior to this turtle on show now!

KPR

Postby KPR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am

borat wrote:That's very interesting Martyn.

Talking about Kirin ... this one is magnificent, but I like Klaus' Kirin a bit better (aka the "Holton Kirin"). I would appreciate if Klaus could comment sometime on the relationship of this Kirin to his & the Meinertzhagen one :)

Holton's and Van Ham's (ex Behrens) Kirins are Netsuke, the Meinertshagen Kirin is an Okimono.

I was at the Klefisch Auction 1988 in Cologne and was the under bidder of this Kirin, which was bought by Luigi Bandini.

Enclosed comparison pictures of these two Kirin Netsuke. They show the rare views from the front and back.
The Holton Kirin is significantly wider and thus gives much more power. If you hold them in your hands lie worlds between these pieces. IMHO
Downloads-002.jpg
Klaus

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 am

Very useful comparisons Klaus. I feel very privileged to have handled both.

Would you would be willing to share comparisons of the side views as well?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

KPR

Postby KPR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:43 am

souldeep wrote:........Would you would be willing to share comparisons of the side views as well?

Maybe after the auction.
Klaus

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 am

KPR wrote:
souldeep wrote:........Would you would be willing to share comparisons of the side views as well?

Maybe after the auction.

:shock: You plan to reunite the two? Wow. I hope another Luigi, like your experience in '88, does not appear from the shadows. Wishing you the best of luck :)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am

Found this posted by David - viewtopic.php?p=61052#p61052

KPR

Postby KPR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 am

souldeep wrote:
KPR wrote:

Maybe after the auction.

:shock: You plan to reunite the two? Wow. I hope another Luigi, like your experience in '88, does not appear from the shadows. Wishing you the best of luck :)

no no no. The Van Ham Kirin is also a male. My male Kirin would never allow this. It would end bloody.
Last edited by KPR on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Klaus

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”