netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Van Ham - The handling session

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
souldeep

Re: Van Ham - The handling session

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:47 pm

OK - that's enough for now. Hope they help.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

pjburton

Postby pjburton » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:42 pm

souldeep wrote:OK - that's enough for now. Hope they help.

Thanks for providing these Martyn they’re certainly much better than just viewing the catalogue.
Peter

tomalby

Postby tomalby » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Martyn, thank you very much for these posts on the Van Ham sale - that’s some dedication! Really helpful and I’m sure appreciated by those of us that can’t make it out there to handle in person.

The ghost’s still my pick of the bunch of a decent crop..

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Martyn, thanks for posting these after a long tiring drive to and from Coloogne over the weekend. I love the way the skin at the bases of the boar's left foreleg rolls over the thigh while the lower leg is rather spindly as in nature.
Alan

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Thank you Martyn for your dedication in such a fine auction. This your work helps a lot to all of us not being able to handle the featured pieces for ourselves..
Nec spe nec metu

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks guys, but no effort when sharing a passion! Apart from the last five I shared, the rest are from the Italian collection.

As the seller decides to remain private, I'm unsure how much can be said publicly, but I think it is OK to say this. The collector only had 25 pieces. When I say only, we can see what this sort of collector chose. An impeccable taste in quality. This collection evidences once again, the benefit of quality over quantity.

Tom, I noticed your avatar was in blue. I've now added you to the INS members group. Welcome to the world of orange. Details of benefits are in a PM I sent.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 am

tomalby wrote:The ghost’s still my pick of the bunch of a decent crop..

It's a really striking piece. She appeared to be winking ;) A lovely patina to the wood, the hair especially pleasing. I am realistic about the price it will achieve though, and so on that basis alone, I'm out :(

This was the hardest of the bunch to photograph. My photos fail to do the piece justice. Of all the pieces, this one really needed lighting and patience. Neither of which I possessed Sunday :oops:

borat

Postby borat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:21 am

Thank-you Mr Jones ...
I wonder if Mr Hallum gave them a pre-auction polish?

The Goho Tortoise has come alive with your photographs, Martyn :)

The Osaka Boar is spectacular also!

I hope all intending bidders realise that the stated estimates for the Italian collection are purely fiction .... the quality & provenance of most of these pieces imply a compound factor to the estimate on final hammer !

I haven't had the time to check my library, but I suspect a great number are ex-Eskenazi
Last edited by borat on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 am

Hi Gopi,

I fully agree regarding estimates. Non more so than in the case of the Goho tortoise. The best I have handled, and quite possibly ever will. I tried to capture some of the vast ukibori around the work. Each plate of the shell is textured with 20 or so ukibori bumps.

On estimates, perhaps it would be fun to see what others think on end results. I'll put together a matrix for members to use, and even dare to have a go myself. It will be fun to see how wrong we may be after Thursday's sale :D

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:31 am

borat wrote: I haven't had the time to check my library, but I suspect a great number are ex-Eskenazi

Well, for starters, the infamous Kirin went through Mr Bandini's hands.

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”