netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Van Ham - The handling session

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
souldeep

Van Ham - The handling session

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:10 pm

First I must write and congratulate Trudel on bringing such a wonderful collection to market. I think we all feel privileged to get the opportunity to handle and or purchase from this collection.

Some very good news, with a big thank you to Van Ham for listening to collectors. Van Ham have now installed tables and lights for collectors to sit at and view netsuke. Further to this, they have also introduced a tray system in which 10 or so netsuke can be looked at each time. They even now offer soft drinks whilst you sit. What is left? Perhaps a class of champagne to place the cherry - we don't ask for much eh :D

In this thread I'll share some of the favorites in photos from Sunday's handling session. Photography could be better, but I had to be pragmatic with my approach due to time constraints. Notes are from catalogue.

Hope these help some of you that can't handle. I used my hand, to provide some idea of scale, for most of the pieces. Click on any image to view the larger version. Feel free to comment.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Re: Van Ham - The handling session

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:14 pm

LOT 2245

NETSUKE: ONI. Japan. Edo period. Mid 18th c.

Muscular Oni, squatting with a fierce expression, armed manifoldly against demon-quellers. He is wearing Shôki’s broad-rimmed sedge hat, with a wavy rim circled by three fine ornamental bands, yet broken, a piece is missing above the Oni’s right eye. Maybe he found it, discarded? The hat harbours a surprise: If prised open, the top reveals the second himotoshi inside as a carved loop. For additional protection, Oni is clutching Daikoku’s mallet across his body with both hands. A long-haired fur cloak of invisibility covers his back, engraved and stained in fine detail. His protection is completed by his impressive muscles: His legs are truly sturdy, the right one folded under, both ankles circled with two decorative hoops each - as is the wrist - above strong feet armed with awesome claws. Teeth and fangs are bared snarling, carved in meticulous detail. This Oni is not going to get caught, if he can help it. Boxwood, finely carved and engraved, with darker staining. Signed on top of the hat: Gessen. H.4.2cm.

Condition A.

Provenance: -B. Drake Collection, sold in London 1928. -F. Meinertzshagen Collection. -Hindson Collection. Auction VI, 11.3.1969. See N.Davey, ‘Hindson Collection’, p. 105, no. 297, he dates it late 18th/early 19th century. -Topper Collection.

Literature: -Illustrated in MCI, p. 78, who dates the piece late 18th/early 19th century. -Albert Brockhaus, Netsuke 1909, p. 124, depicts 4 netsuke which he describes as four netsuke following illustrations by Yoshimura Shuzan from Soken Kisho, 1781’. No. 144 is very like this piece. Sample illustrations of Shôki wearing such Chinese sedge hats, e.g.: -Hindson Collection, no. 1177. -Eskenazi, Carré Collection, no. 50. -Kolodotschko Collection, Lempertz Auction 9.6.2017, no. 515, no. 657.

€ 2.500 - 2.800 | $ 2.950 - 3.304

DSCF0300.jpg
DSCF0301.jpg
DSCF0302.jpg
DSCF0305.jpg
DSCF0309.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Lot 2246

NETSUKE: SENNIN GAMA. Japan. Edo-Zeit. 18. Jh.

Juvenile Sennin Gama, gleefully laughing at the small toad confidently seated on his right hand on his lap, head raised inquisitively. The Sennin, wearing a belted robe with double collar of dense leaves, wide sleeves billowing, his right leg drawn up at an angle. Ivory, lively and fine carving, polished and finely engraved with detailed darker accents. Both eyes inlaid in dark horn. Beautiful glossy, in parts golden-yellow or brownish patina from use. SLot 2246igned on a rectangular reserve: Tomotada. The famous carver from the Kyôto-School, active between 1750-1800,
listed in the Soken Kisho. This netsuke, illustrated in MCI p. 912, belongs to the small group of human or divine figures by the artist who is famous for his animal carvings. H.4.4cm, W.4,.5cm.

Condition A.

€ 4.000 - 4.600 | $ 4.720 - 5.428

DSCF0312.jpg
DSCF0313.jpg
DSCF0314.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Lot 2250

NETSUKE: FEMALE GHOST. Japan. Edo period. 18th c.

Saishiki-figure of a female ghost emerging from darting flames, holding a long strand of hair in her bony right hand. Boxwood, finely carved and engraved, with vestiges of red and green lacquer in the folds of the robe. H.6,9cm.

Condition A.

Provenance: -Isobel Sharpe Collection. -J.A. Fairley Collection, no 900. -Hindson Collection, no 1293, Auction VII, June 23rd 1969.

Literature: -Illustrated in an article by M.T.Hindson in The Connoisseur, April 1955. -Cologne 2017 MOA, for the 2017 Netsuke Convention, Cat. no. 96.

€ 5.000 - 6.000 | $ 5.900 - 7.080

DSCF0315.jpg
DSCF0319.jpg
DSCF0325.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Lot 2249

NETSUKE: ANGLER MIT OKTOPUS. Japan. Edo-Zeit. Um 1800.

Kensu as a fisherman, with a concentrated expression, bare head surrounded by a semicircle of dense locks and with the typical ear-lobes of a Sennin. He is very tall and long-legged, wearing a short, belted, and short-sleeved garment, standing behind a tall catching-pot from which an anxious little octopus is peering up at him, surrounded by a few small tentacles with suction cups, while the fisherman is hauling a huge long tentacle with both hands and all his might, bending back with the effort. Marine ivory, with a beautiful glossy surface and very good, warm, in parts shiny, natural patina. The long, curved netsuke stands in balance on its small feet. Kensu is usually shown with a large shrimp on his shoulder, though as a Sennin the octopus too is his companion creature, (see Koji Hoten, “pieuvre”, vol. II, p. 171/72. Vol.I, p. 480, plate XXVII, no. 12 shows Kensu as a priest with a head very like ours, holding both creatures, shrimp and octopus. H.12,1cm.

Condition A.

€ 2.800 - 3.200 | $ 3.304 - 3.776

DSCF0326.jpg
DSCF0329.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Lot 2248

NETSUKE: WARRIOR. Japan. Edo period. About 1800.

Warrior, standing with bare torso, as his cloak slipped off his shoulders, billowing over his loincloth, and wearing tabi on his feet. In his right hand he holds a bared tachi, his arm drawn up at an angle, and his head turned to the left with an angry expression on his face. His left hand is tensed in the gesture of defiance known as aragato. His strange hairdo may indicate that he usually wears his hair in the ‘mage’ style, that is tied up over the parting, though now come loose. Boxwood, boldly carved and engraved, with a fine, shiny patina, and with inlaid black eyes. Signed on the back of the left leg: Tomotane. According to MCI, p. 921, it might be a carver born 1781 in Kyôto and mentioned in the Soken Kisho, yet there is another carver of that name, though only known for ivory work. The piece
may even be by a third carver of the same name, but Soken Kisho seems to refer to our piece which was made around 1800. Some traces of wear. H.9,1cm.

Condition A/B. Two old repairs: the tip of the tachi, and a fault on the edge of the tsuba renewed.

Provenance: -Marcel Lorber Collection. -Martin Newstead Collection, Illustrated Hurtig, Masterpieces p. 152, no. 613. -Hindson Collection, p. 73, no. 187, and colorplate facing p. 76, no. 187 Auction 23.6.1969.

Literature: -Illustrated in an article by M.T. Hindson in The Connoisseur, Nov. 1965. -Illustrated in color on jacket of Neil Davey, Netsuke, revised ed. 1982.

€ 1.600 - 2.000 | $ 1.888 - 2.360

DSCF0331.jpg
DSCF0333.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Lot 2251

NETSUKE: DUTCH WITH RABBIT. Japan. Edo period. 18th c.

Rare and grandiose ivory figure of a tall Dutch sailor, wearing a “pantalon á pont” as designed in 17th century France and typical garb for sailors. His pantaloon is fastened at one side below the narrow belt with two agate buttons. The brimmed hat has a pom-pom dangling from the top. The unknown carver must have seen a European sailor before he could carve all these details, and that was only possible around Nagasaki/Deshima. The sailor is standing in elegant posture, head turned back, with smiling face, holding a rabbit diagonally across his front. Procuring such a rabbit was believed to ensure plentiful progeny. See for the interpretation of this netsuke and the place of its creation the chapter ‘Netsuke from Satsuma’ in the catalogue ‘Netsuke & Sagemono’, Netsuke Convention Cologne 2017, cat. no. 140 and Alain Ducros’ introduction to this group. H.13,8cm.

Condition A.

Literature: -Kyôto and Tôkyô 2010 Celebrating the 150th Anniversary of Friendship between Germany and Japan, catalogue p. 19. -Cologne MOA 2017, Catalogue no.140, p. 91.

€ 26.000 - 30.000 | $ 30.680 - 35.400

DSCF0334.jpg
DSCF0335.jpg
DSCF0337.jpg
DSCF0339.jpg
DSCF0341.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Lot 2253

NETSUKE: SHISHI WITH BALL. Japan. Edo period. Mid 18th c.

Powerful Shishi sitting upright, its head turned, mouth open and snarling. It is holding a huge ball with both impressively strong front-paws and its right hind-paw. Ivory, boldly carved and polished, beautiful, heavy mane-curls with dark accents, pupils inlaid in black horn. Signed on rounded rectangular reserve: Mitsuharu, cf. MCI, p. 532, illustrated there with a similar model by this Kyôto artist, though in comparison it shows less overall plastic strength and quality of details. But Meinertzhagen does mention two Karashishi with a ball among his eight pieces by this Soken Kisho carver, one of which may well be our piece. The signatures and reserves he shows are all different. The Catalogue of the Cologne Netsuke Convention 2017, “Netsuke & Sagemono”, no.149, p.96, shows a very similar, though unsigned netsuke, which however Alain Ducros attributes to Gechu because it has six claws per paw. Even though, the similarity of posture and details of design with our piece are striking, and I am tempted to believe that Mitsuharu is a more likely artist. H.5cm.

Condition A.

€ 4.500 - 5.500 | $ 5.310 - 6.490

DSCF0344.jpg
DSCF0345.jpg
DSCF0347.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Lot 2247

NETSUKE: POWERFUL SHÔKI. Japan. Edo period. Late 19th c.

Ivory. Powerful Shôki in a long, belted robe with a sort of breastplate made of tiger skin, holding a ken in his outward-turned right hand protruding from a wide, billowing sleeve. His sheath hangs diagonally across his back, while the Oni he is hunting crouches confidently on the back of his wide collar, leaning onto Shôki´s flat hat, thoughtfully scratching his short right horn. Shôki is wearing fur boots under his finely carved robe
engraved with a cloud pattern with black details. Signed on a large, oval reserve: Yoshinaga (Yoshinaga Koyoken, mentioned in the Soken Kisho, according to MCI p. 988/9 active ca. 1740-80). H.8,8cm.

Condition A.

Provenance: -Brockhaus Collection, no. 249, illustrated in full color plate 38, p. 282 in his book “Netsuke”. -Kyôto and Tôkyô 2010, Celebrating the 150th Anniversary of Friendship between Germany and Japan, catalogue p. 55.

€ 7.500 - 8.500 | $ 8.850 - 10.030

DSCF0348.jpg
DSCF0350.jpg
DSCF0354.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Lot 2255

NETSUKE: MIGHTY TIGER. Japan. Edo period. 2nd half 18th c.

Mighty tiger, its head, with ears pricked up warily, turned licking the underside of its left hind paw. Its long, pointed tail flung animatedly over its left flank and up the back as far as the shoulder. Boxwood, boldly carved with many fine details, such as the toes of all four paws, or the stripes of its coat, vigorously engraved and with darker accents. The eyes are highlighted with brass onlay without pupils. Signed below the left hind paw on an indicated rectangular reserve: Minko. Undoubtedly the Juntoku Minko mentioned in the Soken Kisho (see MCI, p. 505). L.5,5cm.

Condition A.

€ 7.000 - 8.000 | $ 8.260 - 9.440

DSCF0359.jpg
DSCF0360.jpg
DSCF0362.jpg

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”