netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bonhams Katchen Collection Part I on-line...

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
neilholton

Re: Bonhams Katchen Collection Part I on-line...

Postby neilholton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:25 am

It was great sale yesterday. Firstly, congratulations to Bonhams, the team done a super job, particularly the viewing staff and Suzannah Yip who was in the view room helping everyone and answering Q's tirelessly. I also thought that Bonhams, in selecting the pieces that they did, really put together a grouping for every taste and comfort level.

I said to a few clients, there is no collection that exists where you'll love every piece, but Mr Katchen is certainly to be admired for selecting the very best quality, even in pieces that you see regularly. Of course he also had a great sensitivity for the major piece too. On Monday night, a long time authority who knew Mr Katchen well said he was as attentive with his netsuke collecting as he was tickling the ivories, I think this sums up Mr Katchen's collecting and thus how the sale performed.

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:00 am

Really enjoyed the viewing days, Bonhams is a great setting and as Neil said the staff were brilliant. The sale was my first experience of a live sale room and it lived up to expectations! I can't remember my heart ever beating so fast as when I stuck my hand up.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Thank you, Alison and Louis, for your kind comments ! :D
Alex

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:50 pm

I have nothing to add than that which Neil has said regarding the sale.

Congratulations Bonhams - Congratulations Netsuke world.

MakkaPakka - I did not realise we had a new forum face around the sale. I would have made the effort to introduce myself, and to introduce you to others. If you are still around in London, we have a talk tonight by the legendary Ducros at Roseys exhibition 6,30pm. PM me if you need more details :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:22 pm

That's very kind of you, I'm already booked onto the talk tonight, look forward to seeing you there.

Rob

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:10 pm

MakkaPakka wrote:That's very kind of you, I'm already booked onto the talk tonight, look forward to seeing you there.

Rob

Well done, Rob! Just please remember of a constant need to maintain the ability to separate hypotheses and facts in this art field, no matter how wonderfully beautiful the former may be... ;)
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

peter

Postby peter » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:31 pm

It was a great meeting with friends and netsukes.
Really adventure. Maybe tomorrow I prepare the photos and send You. One nice oni No24 I was the second position, only Max was over me. :lol: Two others somehow I lost , because we were waiting internet bids the paddle in my hand and somehow finished the sales.
It was a nice deer No 132 sold 900Gbp netto and a Tanba school sishi No185 only 900 gpb netto. :oops:
Few collectors meeting and dinner a small (really small indian restaurant monday evening with a long conversation about old and new situations in the netsuke word. The sales were well organised TKS Bonhams. All the staff helpfull, and Susannah Y. and Neil D. helping every personal questions.
The longer version coming soon with illustrations.
Peter

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Vlad wrote:
MakkaPakka wrote:That's very kind of you, I'm already booked onto the talk tonight, look forward to seeing you there.

Rob

Well done, Rob! Just please remember of a constant need to maintain the ability to separate hypotheses and facts in this art field, no matter how wonderfully beautiful the former may be... ;)

Good advice for all forms of art and probably life as well Vlad

Tama

Postby Tama » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:33 pm

Mark, you stuck your hand up... were you successful???

peter

Postby peter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Our tour beginning Monday morning . Wake up 4 and plane departure 6 o' clock. Arrived a windy cold city, but the train working well so we arrived 10 to the Bonhams. Coming soon the collectors Gabor W. Klaus R. and so many, sorry not mention everyone.
And handling. I made cca 250 pics but now only few for the readers.
Afternoon visiting Rosemary, Tsumugi, Malcolm,Max, SL MOSS and the Greys, Chek in the Hotel and Back to Bonhams a short overwiew and dinner few old and new netsuke collector. continue.....
Attachments
DSC00966.JPG
DSC00971.JPG
DSC00979.JPG
DSC00985.JPG
DSC00989.JPG

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”