netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bonhams Katchen Collection Part I on-line...

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
AFNetsuke

Re: Bonhams Katchen Collection Part I on-line...

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Good luck, Peter.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:11 pm

yes, Peter --Have a great time, and come back with lots of stories for us, please!
Judy

borat

Postby borat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:04 am

Long day ahead tomorrow ....

My London sources tell me it is going to be a fine sale, commencing in about 8 hours, possibly comparable to the famous Szechenyi sale. All good lots will easily exceed estimates posted. The recent collapse in the GBP will enhance the top line numbers. Great to see demand continuing for fine netsuke. I was informed from the viewing that the individual quality of the lots was as great as the reputation of the collection.

Then the US election follows ....
Just a reminder for all my Mexican friends resident in Florida to get out to vote ! :)

billweb

Postby billweb » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Congratulations to all the winners!! :) I was left trailing in the dust as bids flew past my comfort level, but it was still exciting to watch on line.... and a good exercise in willpower :roll:

Bill

borat

Postby borat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:43 pm

That was a very fun auction to watch .... there was no impediment to bidding for ivory netsuke.

My top 2 highlights were, Lot 21 Ivory Okame , est GBP 3K, but sold for nearly GBP 44K !!
This was on my list, but couldn't keep the pace. Bought by Max R. presumably heading to Russia. You may ask why? Superb netsuke, mid 18th century Kyoto mastery , finished with a deep characteristic himotoshi. By the Kyoto Magician ... Masanao of Kyoto, :D
There is a twin of this piece in wood, signed, which gave the bidders in the know, much confidence

Lot 120 - Gechu Dog - achieved GBP 221K, primarily for it's fame. The twin lives in Boston.

The top end master works continue to be very strong, which surprises me, in a challenged world.

What do others think of the sale?

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Utterly enjoyed following the auction online.

Managed, with my modest funds, to buy the karako signed Hojitsu, which I was keen on adding to my children related collection. Very happy !

Here it is:

Karako by Hijitsu.jpg
Alex

lmallier

Postby lmallier » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Congrats Alex, very good buy, high quality carving.
I could not register for the bidding on time but I am not disapointed at all as all the ones I spotted went 2 to 10 fold their estimates especially the Mitsuhiro's owl, my favorite of the sale!
A really nice (part of a) collection spread all over the world at the end.

Louis
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Qui n'a pas les moyens de ses ambitions a tous les soucis" 
Talleyrand

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:58 pm

Gopi, maybe handling the Okame #21 would have revealed more but I guessed it would stop when it got to 5 figures. How high were you willing to go? Did I miss that it was signed or is that an attribution?
Alan

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:07 pm

Lot lot of fun!! What a day, I was middle of mountains in mine site with a very poor internet connections with my IPad as operation center just in case ready to pull the trigger, my iPhone to check and laptop working routine staff!!
Such a variety cause me most of the pleasure, I was really excited about the owl 144 and happy to see it sold at a solid price. Also about the swimmer she tiger with cub lot 59 a very distinctive netsuke which would make happy any of us and now will be in the right hands, birdies say somebody who deserve it. Almost forgot my beloved Okame lot 21, she deserve that price by all means.

My very very limited funds put me out in all my bets but one, the fattest and proudest tiger in the world and for that I'm happy
Nec spe nec metu

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:53 pm

Super karako, Alex. If I'd been able to take part this time, that one would have been on my list. I'm glad you've got it!

Alison

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”