netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Superior Collection of Fine Netsuke at Auction

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
Vlad

Re: Superior Collection of Fine Netsuke at Auction

Postby Vlad » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:48 am

NetsukeManiac wrote:Here is a link to the iGavel auction which at this point has 13 netsuke listings. Excellent and plentiful photos of each piece, however some of the opening bids seem exorbitant.

http://bid.igavelauctions.com/AuctionHe ... v=1&page=1

Dave

Wouldn't expect anything different from the seller. I wonder how high the reserves are going to be?
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:03 am

It makes it difficult to participate in this auction when the opening bids are at the gavel bang price.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:15 pm

:lol:

Not my world.

For most pieces the opening bids are more than I would even consider fair as top estimates.

It would appear iGavel know people that the rest of the Netsuke world don't right now. Is the US market far stronger than we currently knew - or perhaps more likely - our consigner is trying to recoup money from stronger days in the Netsuke world?

In defence of the estimates - last year we had an online Netsuke auction from Christies in the US. The estimates there surprised me - yet they achieved the prices. I will look forward to seeing what happens here. Good luck to the seller, auction house and buyers :D
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Vlad wrote:Wouldn't expect anything different from the seller. I wonder how high the reserves are going to be?

There doesn't appear to be any reserves - you just dive in at the opening bid amounts and then bid against others if they submit a bid.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:55 pm

May I say (belatedly; it's been a busy week) welcome to the International Netsuke Society Forum, known affectionately as the "Netsuke and Sagemono Lounge," to Lark Mason III, iGavel, Davey, and all involved in this auction!

You have given us a lot to think about in this thread!!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

LarkMasonAssociates

Postby LarkMasonAssociates » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Vlad wrote:
NetsukeManiac wrote:Here is a link to the iGavel auction which at this point has 13 netsuke listings. Excellent and plentiful photos of each piece, however some of the opening bids seem exorbitant.

http://bid.igavelauctions.com/AuctionHe ... v=1&page=1

Dave

Wouldn't expect anything different from the seller. I wonder how high the reserves are going to be?

Hi Vlad, souldeep is correct. In the spirit of complete transparency all of our reserves are published, no hidden reserves, and used as the starting bid so any bid can win.

Good luck in your bidding!

LMasonIII
Last edited by LarkMasonAssociates on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LarkMasonAssociates

Postby LarkMasonAssociates » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:31 pm

DSW90049 wrote:May I say (belatedly; it's been a busy week) welcome to the International Netsuke Society Forum, known affectionately as the "Netsuke and Sagemono Lounge," to Lark Mason III, iGavel, Davey, and all involved in this auction!

You have given us a lot to think about in this thread!!

Thank you very much DSW, we have enjoyed exploring many of the topics on your forum, and are honored to share this fine collection with you the members of the International Netsuke Society forum. Your discussions are illuminating and intriguing, glad to be a part of the conversation.

LMasonIII

borat

Postby borat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 pm

There are some fine lots in this sale & great netsuke still achieve excellent prices, although we are at a different price expectation level compared to a few years ago. Those of you who have received the latest INSJ will see the star lot featured in the Bonham's Katchen sale .. I believe that this has a 6 figure guide price in GBP !
Coming back to this sale, I am assuming that CITES pieces are non-exportable beyond USA ( except maybe Donald Trump's favourite country, Russia)

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Gopi, if you look back on page 2 of this thread, the agent states that the netsuke have previous CITES approval for export.

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Tama wrote:It makes it difficult to participate in this auction when the opening bids are at the gavel bang price.

Looking back at the time I originally posted this, I had just rolled out of bed to get ready for work. At the time my post made perfect sense to me, however speaking with a friend, he didn't quite get my meaning. What I intended to say was, the opening prices for the netsuke at auction are at a price that is traditionally the end price. This leaves me completely out of the auction. I wish good fortune to those bidding.

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”