netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Moore Allen & Innocent Auction 8 July 2016

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
maric

Moore Allen & Innocent Auction 8 July 2016

Postby maric » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:14 am

Hi friends
I was bidding online at this auction yesterday.
Lot 497 was described as a late 19th century Meiji Period carved netsuke rat signed to base approx3.5cm high,
Estimate £200-£300.
I was flabbergasted when this sold for £28500+ commission approx£7000 !!!.
Presumably this was because the signature was of a famous netsukishi.
Can anyone enlighten me please
Wes(Maric)
Attachments
The Rat.jpeg
The Rat01.jpeg

NetsukeManiac

Re: Moore Allen & Innocent Auction 8 July 2016

Postby NetsukeManiac » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:31 am

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

borat

Postby borat » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:50 am

This was the Masanao of Kyoto. The pictures did not do it justice as the piece was dry. Netsuke experts had viewed this piece pre-sale. My 5 figure bid was surpassed by others. There is a comparable piece pictured in Netsuke 7.
Conclusions: there are very few sleepers in the age of the internet, even in English county sales
the vendor must have fallen off her chair at the result!
the netsuke market continues to be strong for fine pieces
After a few minor fixes, this piece would retail in London for 45K GBP possibly
This was not a fake, I think there were 3 very strong bidders at least

borat

Postby borat » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:06 am

Dave, there is an interesting side story to that wood MK rat you linked .... it may turn up again one day ... it was innocently lost post-auction by a staff member of a leading Netsuke dealership!

This rat which sold yesterday was quite a good size which enhanced its appeal. The apparent lack of wear may have been a factor in the mis-cataloging of the piece in the sale.

The hunt continues for a sleeping rat ... now that would be the ultimate auction sleeper :lol:

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:27 am

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:09 pm

For comparison, pic of Kyoto Masanao's Sleeping Rat at the British Museum, as mentioned by Gopi above,

The hunt goes on. . . .
Congratulations to the winning hunter!
Attachments
image.jpeg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Mamushi

Postby Mamushi » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:58 pm

to me it dont look a real Masanao's carving. The signature ,the face and many other details dont match. Another details that make me sceptic is that there is no patina and no wear at all on this carving,that make me difficult to think that it can be a real Edo period netsuke. Just my opinion....

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi Mamushi,
I actually thought the same thing when I first saw it--but it is very dry- you can tell- and with proper lubrication to the ivory, some of that patina color should be visible if it is there. It looks a little new to me too, but it might be one of those pieces that sat on a shelf instead of being used. Evidently a few thought it authentic to reach that kind of a price, and the experts have more knowledge about these things than the rest of us. (and the buyer more money! :lol: )
Judy

Jordi

Postby Jordi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:46 pm

A superb ivory rat netsuke attributed to Masanao is displayed in Rutherson & Bandini's exhibition book "Japanese Netsuke, Inro and Works of Art published to coincide with the International Netsuke Convention 2011. Although just two photos shown of it, the detail around the eyes, ears, paws and tail looks significantly superior to this auction rat, well to me anyway.

The auctioneer seemed very surprised when it came to this lot that there were nine phone bidders as well as those in the room. If purchased by a EU dealer or collector rather than a UK one, the drop of 20% in Sterling against the Euro following Brexit would have almost paid the commission, which may have given the buyer some leeway in the hammer price.

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”