netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bonhams Fine Japanese Art May 12

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
onimh

Bonhams Fine Japanese Art May 12

Postby onimh » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:35 pm

souldeep

Re: Bonhams Fine Japanese Art May 12

Postby souldeep » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks Matt.

Looking at the selection makes me feel old - I recognise many of them. In fact between the sale on the 8th ( https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23772/ ), and the one above you posted for the 12th, you only need to turn to Lempertz last year to spot a good portion of the pieces with new price tags.

Is it me - or do we have quite a lot of netsuke coming on the market. London will be awash with choice this May - the only problem(s) will be - how deep is one's pockets, and how the heck do we choose between all the netsuke that will be on offer :shock:
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

lmallier

Postby lmallier » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:18 pm

Beautiful catalog with exceptional japanese antiques, again. Some bronze vases in the sale are breathtaking...
Let us see what the netsuke will do, I feel there are loads of groups in this Netsuke sale so quite difficult to predict...

Louis
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Qui n'a pas les moyens de ses ambitions a tous les soucis" 
Talleyrand

maric

Postby maric » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:42 am

There certainly is a fine sellection of netsuke, some at fairly reasonable prices. I was however drawn to the number excellent of books in the auction- expecially Lots 268 & 269- drool, drool !!!

OliMos

Postby OliMos » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:15 pm

The first 25 of the Tomkinson catalogue were the only ones printed on special Indian paper. 200 produced total but numbers 1 to 25 were the fancy ones he had produced to give out to friends.

We have number 2 as our gallery reference copy. This one is number 6 so it's one of the very rare fancy editions of a very rare book.

borat

Postby borat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:23 pm

I received my Bonham's 8th May catalogue in the mail (so much more enjoyable perusing the real thing!). This is indeed a very nice collection of netsuke built up by a very caring collector over a number of years, the better pieces often with important provenance indicating careful selection. I believe all collectors will find pieces of interest in this sale. This small catalogue will be a useful addition to a netsuke library as it is well laid out along with a nice colour signature index. It is also informative to see how a serious collector builds up a collection as he/she matures. Now I'm looking forward to spending at least 1/2 day at Bonham's viewing primarily as a learning exercise - this is a great treat for me coming from a netsuke desert! Kudos to Suzannah Y. for securing this collection & enhancing our London symposium ( also to Neil D. with his oversight). I don't anticipate a repeat result like the Barbanson auction at the last London event - that was just unreal! I fully concur with Souldeep's opinion that London is going to be awash with good-great netsuke next month .... how do you choose between 500+ pieces? Good times ahead!

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:00 pm

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Dave, Martyn said this in an earlier post: "Is it me - or do we have quite a lot of netsuke coming on the market?"
I thought the same but my memory is not as good as some of yours! The question will be: what's it worth to me now?
Alan

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:12 am

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

borat

Postby borat » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:25 am

Not to mention the high end stock S.L Moss will tempt attendees at the May Symposium & the other 5+ dealers present. I wonder whether the European auction houses which have their netsuke sales in the back-end of the year will reduce their offerings as a consequence?

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”