netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bonhams Katchen Collection Part II

A forum for discussions on INS-sponsor auctions from future and past.
tanukisan

Re: Bonhams Katchen Collection Part II

Postby tanukisan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 am

chonchon wrote:Gopi, what is birding? Is it like dogging but smaller?

Yes, but you have to be fully fledged! :D

John 

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:23 am

For a group of gentlemen who have an obsessive interest in collecting small things with holes in them, you're being mightily bold.

For many years the only way I could survive an INS convention was to spend an inordinate amount of time in the hotel bar.. but these days, since that activity is imposed upon by collectors wanting their dirty netsuke cleaned.. I'm forced to find other escapes.

So it was in Cologne.. luckily for me, a small woodland right next to the hotel had a resident Nightingale which gave me many hours of listening joy and peace... well it did until a homeless man who also occupied that little woodland decide that listening to "his" Nightingale required that I forfeit a few Euro. He as quite insistent or so it seemed as he barked commands at me in German... so I gave him the money but the joy was lost.

So I went up the road and saw another wonderful thing in Cologne.. an island of unused land next to a major road that had been densely seeded with wild flowers... with hundreds of bees and beautiful butterflies taking advantage of the banquet.. it was quite magical.

19243310_10155307220543605_215268755757230559_o.jpg

.. but then it got dark so I went back to the hotel bar. :lol:

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 am

IMG_6259.JPG
Ah, now we are getting the true behind-the-scenes story of Koln/Cologne, finally! :)

"Birds of the Mountains and Fields".

There are some glorious warblings outside the windows here in the early mornings. (Except for this morning when there seemed to be a fight between some crows.)
Piers

Size is something.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Ahh well now Piers, I would certainly come to clean your netsuke if I might do a little Japanese birding on the side..

(Sorry Gobi, I've seen all the birds in New Zealand, all the ones you chaps over there haven't eaten.. that is. ;) )

Although if H.I.H Princess Takamado invites me round, I'm afraid I'll ditch you in an instant... she is afterall the Honorary President of BirdLife International and a very keen birder. :D

Princess-takamado-birdwatching.jpg

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:09 pm

How about two birds with one stone? :D
Piers

Size is something.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Well I don't think that's the most appropriate phrase in this context.. but I get your meaning and am agreeable to the suggestion. :lol:

Perhaps we had better return to discussions about the Katchen collection now.. before we ruffle a few feathers ;)

kaibutsu

Postby kaibutsu » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:19 pm

oh, one last bird note. here's pic of baby woodpecker that delighted us for a couple of weeks this spring in tree outside front window.
woodpecker.JPG
INS mascot

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Nice one Pat.. looks like a Nuttall's Woodpecker. Cute little things.

Return to “Auctions - INS recommended”