netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

new addition to my collection

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Victor

Re: new addition to my collection

Postby Victor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks Judy for mentioning your love for wooden netsuke and how that has gradually switched from ivory to wood. I have also found myself moving away from ivory pieces, particularly with the growing controversy over sales , and the difficulty in buying it from outside the UK. There is plenty of ivory to be purchased legally in the UK but I'm always looking for netsuke made from other materials but wood is my favourate, and there seems to be more of them available, discounting the rubbish from China. I do not understand why Ebay continues to allow listings from China and other countries described as 'Antique Japanese Netsuke' but they do. I have protested several times to no avail. I now search local auctions instead, Victor

Victor

Postby Victor » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Good afternoon, I would really appreciate some feedback regarding the question I asked about how these, one piece netsuke are hollowed out. Is it a process similar to that used in the making of puzzle balls ?

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm

Victor, since many carvers fabricated their own tools to suit specific needs, I can envision any number of small cutting devices angled to varying degree, some perhaps even greater than 90 degrees for scraping by pulling the tool back toward the carver. Perhaps Clive or Doug have photos or actual antique examples. Or other answers to your question?
Alan

Victor

Postby Victor » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks Alan, I'd be really pleased if Clive or Doug could post examples of the process for me, I get the gist of what you're suggesting but to see examples would be great

Clive

Postby Clive » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Ryusa netsuke really aren't that difficult to carve Victor.. and dead easy if using a modern high speed rotary tool. It's always seemed to me that most modern examples of this form of netsuke are really more about impressing the technically uniformed lay-person than actually undertaking a serious carving challenge.

There are many ways in which Ryusa netsuke can be made using traditional hand carving tools but one I'm familiar with from having restored a crushed 19th Cen example allowing me to closely examine the tool marks on the inside suggested the following method.. first one carves the basic surface forms in deep relief. Then using a small hand held drill (not that dissimilar to the type carvers would use to help fashion a deeply channeled himotoshi) one repeatedly penetrates deep into the negative spaces at lots of different angles taking care not to go too deeply until you pretty much has fragmented the entire inner space. Then its simply matter of removing all the fragments and undercutting the surface relief. Traditional netsuke carving knives with relatively long shanks like these would be particularly useful for that task..
IMG_3538.JPG
Last edited by Clive on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victor

Postby Victor » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Many thanks Clive, very interesting, I'm beginning to see just how skilled these early carvers were, without the aid of the rotary tools you mention, makes me wonder just how long it took them to complete an intricate netsuke.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”