netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
AFNetsuke

Re: Signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 am

Thank you Clive! What causes a sort of "clubbing" effect at the ends of some strokes that would seem to suggest a fine drill burr is involved? L
20180227_174653.jpg
Alan

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:46 am

Hi Alan,

That "clubbing effect" would be one of the things I was thinking about when I wrote "why one might be a tad suspicious about these cuts".
That said.. while such an effect could have be made by a burr, it could have been equally caused by a traditional carving gouge.. so neither here nor there as they say.

Since I'm pretty sure the rest of the carving was carved using traditional hand tools, I would want evidence that definitively suggests the use of a powertool to convince myself that something different happened with the signature and the hilum line and I'm just not seeing that.
I do however know that if I take a small gouge.. like this one of my own tools..
IMG_3472.JPG

I can make an end cut that looks like this..
IMG_E3471.JPG

Which is very similar to the end of the cut on the signature
tool mrk.jpg
Last edited by Clive on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:36 am

Thank you Clive for the wise words. Now I am glad I never actually spoke the R word... :D

On the other hand, that is one badly-proportioned and scrappy signature. The top right quadrant of mitsu for example, is just wrong... 光 However you place the top three marks (vertical and two rays), the central line really needs to be a solid horizontal.

Some Japanese do have sloppy writing, though, my wife for one.
Last edited by chonchon on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

HLH

Postby HLH » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 am

Clive!

Thanks for your sophisticated analysis of the carving technique thats been used on this piece. Now I feel a lot better as I’m very fond of this little netsuke. If the signature was added later or not, it doesn’t matter as long as its not been made by a machine tool.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:25 pm

Clive- I hadn't ever heard of the term Hilum so I looked it up and I see it's the scar left on a seed from attachment. I didn't know of it applied to wood carving.

I was a little suspicious of a rotary carved signature too, but I do recognize Clive's observation of the U-Shaped mark left at the end of a gouge stroke. Well spotted! I think we can see a similar mark if we follow that stroke upwards, crossing the horizontal stroke and then into the top stroke that follows the same line. There's a U-scar there too, maybe. The clubbing, to answer the question, can be caused by the effect where one begins a stroke by unconsciously applying a bit more pressure at the start of a stroke, thus plunging the ball-shaped burr a little deeper, creating a wider mark.
Last edited by dougsanders on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HLH

Postby HLH » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Information regarding this artist works, I’ve been suggested that he could belong to the Nagoya school.
Any opinions of is or not!
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

Return to “Collector's Gallery”