netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
HLH

Re: Signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光

Postby HLH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 am

Piers!

Do you think this type of tool have been used?
Attachments
8540BC3B-A3AD-4447-B7C3-81870A77BD09.jpeg
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:28 pm

No strings, no treadle, no bow, no wheel, no switch, no batteries, no wires, no motor on that! 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

HLH

Postby HLH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Piers!

LOL :D You forgot -
Houston, we have a problem!
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 am

Henrik, we all have to ask the question when we see a signature. How is it written? What do the internal tracks tell us about the tools used? When was such a tool first introduced? (Clive is a master of this sleuthing.) Is it well written, or at least typical for this artist? Is it consistent with the age of the Netsuke? Is there anything about it that suggests it could have been added later? We ask this because we know that signatures are often added later, for whatever reason.
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

HLH

Postby HLH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 am

Piers!

The complexity of the nature of signatures seems to be endless. This piece might be difficult due to the lack of works in wood as all known works (to my knowledge) by this artist are all done in metal. And as you say, we don’t know when the sign was done and what kind of tool that was used.
I like to show it to Clive as you suggest to hear his opinion.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 am

A little off the subject, but worth pointing out: I sat down with Ryushi one day at the convention in NYC, and he let me handle the tools he uses and showed me how he used them. He explained that most carvers do not use modern store bought tools, but fashion their own to fit their special needs. He had many different tools he made with wooden handles and many sizes and shapes of heads for different purposes.
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:00 am

HLH wrote:Piers!

This piece might be difficult due to the lack of works in wood as all known works (to my knowledge) by this artist are all done in metal.

Hi Henrik,
it is most likely that the metalwork artist Tsunemitsu has nothing to do with this wood carving.
As Piers suggests, the signature seems to be made by a rotary tool rather than carved and probably added later.
So I would just enjoy your nice rat on chestnut for what it is ;)
Jan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:28 am

Ah, thank you Jan. I was really not wanting to use the 'R' word, but not sure how long I could hold out! :D
Piers

Size is something.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 am

Hi Henrik,

I fully agree with Jan. I do think that it is a nice netsuke and you should enjoy it for what it is, but I suspected that the signature has been added later, when you posted it's enlarged photo, after my first post about Tsune-Mitsu.

Piers, with his 'hawk eyes' and extensive knowledge, spelled it out for you. I liked your humour, Piers :lol:
Alex

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 am

Hi all,

I can see why one might be a tad suspicious about these cuts but I'd say that the signature and the line marking edge of the Hilum (the attachment scar) were still made using a small gouge tool.. a smaller version of the type Henrik posted a picture off earlier in the thread. For one.. the end of the cut shown here is a near perfect profile match for such a tool and you couldn't really make such an ending using a small rotary burr.

tool mrk.jpg

Return to “Collector's Gallery”