netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
HLH

Signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光

Postby HLH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 pm

I like to share my latest acquisition with you. The description is as follows;

TSUNEMITSU: MOUSE ON A CHESTNUT, 19th cent.
A formal, very lovely rounded netsuke: Lightly ribbed ovoid nut with crouched nezumi sitting on it. It features partial fine fur carving and black inlaid eyes. In the first place of the zodiac, there called ne, and the carrier of this netsuke might have been born in the Year of the Rat. It is also the symbolic animal of the god of fortune and abundance, Daikoku. Patina, big himotoshi underneath, beside the rare signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光 .

I'm most interested if someone have more information of this carvers whereabouts and so on as I have very little data on his works.
Attachments
Mouse_1.jpg
Mouse_2.JPG
Mouse_3.JPG
Mouse_4.JPG
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

Operafan

Re: Signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光

Postby Operafan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi Henrik,

In all the books which I looked up (MCI, LAZ, Davey), TSUNE-MITSU is described as metal artist, mainly kagamibuta. The first one - end of 18th century, the second (son of the first) - first third of 19th century.

It seems that your rat is made of wood. Would be useful if you could post a good photo of the signature.
Alex

HLH

Postby HLH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi Alex!

This netsuke is made in wood and not metal as mentioned done by the artist in Davey's book but no more info available. Enclosed is a better photo of the signature. It's assumed that it could be made to someone born in the year of the rat. 1804-1816-1828 etc..
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 22.18.20.png
Last edited by ModTeam on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: we rotated the picture of the signature to make it easier to read.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Awfully nice one anyhow. I love the way the rat seems to be climbing out of the chestnut.

Alison

HLH

Postby HLH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks Alison!
Yes, its a charming piece which I like a lot.
It seems hard to find more information on this artist even in this forum full of knowledge and expertise. Maybe thats the art of collecting - you doesn’t always get an answer.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

mss

Postby mss » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 pm

HLH wrote:I like to share my latest acquisition with you. The description is as follows;

TSUNEMITSU: MOUSE ON A CHESTNUT, 19th cent.
A formal, very lovely rounded netsuke: Lightly ribbed ovoid nut with crouched nezumi sitting on it. It features partial fine fur carving and black inlaid eyes. In the first place of the zodiac, there called ne, and the carrier of this netsuke might have been born in the Year of the Rat. It is also the symbolic animal of the god of fortune and abundance, Daikoku. Patina, big himotoshi underneath, beside the rare signature TSUNE-MITSU 恒光 .

I'm most interested if someone have more information of this carvers whereabouts and so on as I have very little data on his works.

The Tsunemitsu listed in the MCI and Lazarnick's N&IA used a different kanji for Tsune than the one on your netsuke. I believe your netsuke uses the kanji K295 as shown in Lazarnick N&IA p. 100. He gives a reading for this kanji (K295) as Ko, Tsune, (Always). No Ko-mitsu listed in either Laz. volume. Hope you find this of interest. Images attached.
Attachments
Tsunemitsu002.jpg
K295001.jpg

HLH

Postby HLH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi Milton

Thanks for your efforts on getting more information of this 19th C. artist from Tokyo.
I’m researching and hope to find even more interesting details.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:52 am

The signature does not look as though it was cut with a knife.
Piers

Size is something.

HLH

Postby HLH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:25 am

Piers!

That sounds interesting. Do you suggest that its burned, stamped or cut with another type of tool or....?

Most agree thats a19th C piece, but is it early mid or late?
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:24 am

Look at the ends of the strokes, especially the hollows. Then look at the wavy line below the signature.
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”