netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Tomoichi toad with lotus leaf hat

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Japiodragon

Tomoichi toad with lotus leaf hat

Postby Japiodragon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Dear members,

I'm on this forum for a few days now (but I followed you for three months). In the 'Authenticity-forum' I started to introduce myself. There I wrote - amongst others - a bit about my 'avatar'. According to me (and my father - the collector who died in 1999) it is an unused (wearless and rather dirty - dust and smoke) Tomoichi (Tadami Uno) netsuke that depicts a toad with a lotus leaf hat.

I feel obliged to post more detailed pictures (see attachments). This object always makes me 'laugh' (although the toad doesn't look very happy). In front view it is - for me - the evidence for "less is more".

I do hope you enjoy the pictures!

Best regards,

Jaap
Attachments
Breukel_JSM_Toad_with_Lotus_Leaf_Hat_Signed_Tomoichi_Pic_01.jpg
Breukel_JSM_Toad_with_Lotus_Leaf_Hat_Signed_Tomoichi_Pic_02.jpg
Breukel_JSM_Toad_with_Lotus_Leaf_Hat_Signed_Tomoichi_Pic_03.jpg
Breukel_JSM_Toad_with_Lotus_Leaf_Hat_Signed_Tomoichi_Pic_04.jpg
Breukel_JSM_Toad_with_Lotus_Leaf_Hat_Signed_Tomoichi_Pic_05.jpg
Breukel_JSM_Toad_with_Lotus_Leaf_Hat_Signed_Tomoichi_Pic_06.jpg
Breukel_JSM_Toad_with_Lotus_Leaf_Hat_Signed_Tomoichi_Pic_07.jpg

tanukisan

Re: Tomoichi toad with lotus leaf hat

Postby tanukisan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Signature could also be read as Tomokazu

John 

Japiodragon

Postby Japiodragon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Dear John,

I agree that the signature can also be read as 'Tomokazu'. The famous Tomokazu however worked (as far as I know - I'm a beginner) mostly with wood. In the last two months I only encountered one ivory netsuke that is addressed to this famous Tomokazu (Art Gallery Yale University, 1994.64.101, the rat in the attachments).

To me my netsuke has a different style (but then ... it's another animal ...). Some of the netsuke's on the internet that are addressed to Tomoichi seem to have more connection with my netsuke. Furthermore: the signature on the Tomokazu rat is put in a quadrant (as seems to be normal in the wooden Tomokazu's). Tadami Uno (signing as Tomoichi - see attachment for his three signatures - picture from this forum) doesn't use the quadrant.

But I'll be honest: of course I'm not 100 percent sure! Probably I will never be :-)

Best regards,

Jaap
Attachments
Rat_Tomokazu_Yale_Pic_01.jpg
Rat_Tomokazu_Yale_Pic_02.jpg
Rat_Tomokazu_Yale_Pic_03.jpg
Signatures_Tadami_Uno.jpg

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Dear Jaap, I did not wish to imply that your toad with lotus leaf hat was by Tomokazu of Gifu as it is obviously a 20th Century carving. I don't know if you have read Miriam Kinsey's book Contemporary Netsuke, pages 210-211, which feature the husband and wife team, Tadami Uno and Harue, also living in Gifu.When carving animals they are signed Tomoichi. Call it intuition, but I suspect Harue carved your toad as it has a mischeivous, cute and feminine look about it somehow.
Last edited by tanukisan on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John 

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

THAT comment make a lot of sense to understand the carving. Thank you John!!
Nec spe nec metu

Japiodragon

Postby Japiodragon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks, John, for this information and insight. Maybe it explains why I thought only some Tomoichi netsuke's I have seen have a connection with mine. "Mischievous AND cute", that's a good English free translation of my Dutch "aanlokkelijk* EN afhoudend**" that makes me laugh.

MOD EDIT - * aanlokkelijk = alluring, attractive - - - ** afhoudend = reserved, reticent - END MOD EDIT :)
Last edited by ModTeam on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added translation

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Jaap, fun piece :D
You are having a very good start here and a great attitude for sharing our passion for netsuke ...
By the way, Holland is represented on the Lounge, with members like Alex (Operafan) and Bart. I am from the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium.

a very warm welcome !
Jan

Return to “Collector's Gallery”