netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

another boxwood mask of Okame

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Victor

another boxwood mask of Okame

Postby Victor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Good afternoon, I have found another mask of Okame, almost on a par with my similar post on this subject. 43mm tall x 36mm wide. My reading of signatures has not improved, inspite of having access to Laz's book, could this mask also be by Shugetsu or am I way off ?
Attachments
DSCF0012 (3).JPG
DSCF0013 (3).JPG
DSCF0015 (3).JPG

jbjtennyo

Re: another boxwood mask of Okame

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:43 pm

This is signed Ryuzan. In the book "Netsuke Masks" by Bushell, there is one mask group by Ryuzan. See image below.
Attachments
IMG_4797.jpg
IMG_4798.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Judy

pjburton

Postby pjburton » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Victor wrote:Good afternoon, I have found another mask of Okame, almost on a par with my similar post on this subject. 43mm tall x 36mm wide. My reading of signatures has not improved, inspite of having access to Laz's book, could this mask also be by Shugetsu or am I way off ?

This is a Shugetsu signature on one I have.
41F6F57B-9CC0-4CC2-9FAE-C4635E27D233.jpeg
Peter

Victor

Postby Victor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:01 pm

thank you very much for the reading and the images

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:09 am

Victor, that is a lovely mask by Ryuzan you have there, even though the first photograph above made me feel dizzy. Sadly masks of even good quality do not reach the dizzy heights of other types of Netsuke in the West.

Of the two characters in your signature, the second is 山 yama, mountain, which can also be read san/zan depending on its role in a word.
Yama would be the old native Japanese word from before the introduction of Chinese writing. San or zan reflects the Chinese pronunciation that to some measure came in with the Kanji alphabet at the end of the 4th century AD. The character represents three mountains, the middle one higher. If you don't believe me look at this!
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 7%E5%B1%B1
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:48 am

chonchon wrote:
Of the two characters in your signature, the second is 山 yama, mountain, which can also be read san/zan depending on its role in a word.
Yama would be the old native Japanese word from before the introduction of Chinese writing. San or zan reflects the Chinese pronunciation that to some measure came in with the Kanji alphabet at the end of the 4th century AD. The character represents three mountains, the middle one higher. If you don't believe me look at this!
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 7%E5%B1%B1

Great info for new collectors, Piers.
Alan

Return to “Collector's Gallery”