netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Manju

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
jimfowlie

Manju

Postby jimfowlie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:03 pm

I mentioned on another thread that I found a netsuke locally, which is indeed rare. Ivory, unsigned, of simple design of chrysanthemum top and bottom with the peg being the small flower inside the large one. Not sure if it is a table? What's your thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1313.jpg
IMG_1314.JPG
Jim (INS member)

jbjtennyo

Re: Manju

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Jim.. Really interesting find! I love it when I am able to find something locally-- like you though, it rarely happens.
I have not seen anything so open on the ends before- it doesn't really look like a table netsuke with the mirror carving on the bottom as well. -I am wondering if it was designed to slip through some kind of sash or strap, securing the open manju shape at the waste, and then there was something that hung from the cord attachment? Just really guessing here, but it seems to me the opening through the middle was made that large and concentric for a reason. What do you think?
Judy

jimfowlie

Postby jimfowlie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:38 pm

I should have gave the dimensions. They are 30mm x 30mm x 20mm. The cord opening is 6mm. Not sure what it represents. Just noticed that on one of the petals of the small flower of the peg there is a dot and one on the large flower of the other end. Wonder if that is for aligning them?
Jim (INS member)

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:08 am

Yes, Jim, perhaps those dots did serve some king of purpose having do with alignment. I can't help but think that this design, with it being so open, had some special purpose. I really think Piers might be the best one to address this type of netsuke as he is pretty familiar with the different types of dress. It is smaller than I was picturing it, but then again, all of this leads me to believe it served a specific need.
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:29 am

Lovely find, Jim. Yes, I have several of this kind, but yours is extra spidery. The string would tie inside and come out through the central hole, the size of the hole allowing for slightly angled hanging from any alignment? As to what the object represents, it hits various triggers in my brain, an intriguing pattern and construction! Might it have had a silk cushion inside it, (since perished) hiding the string, but showing on the four sides in gorgeous colour? :idea:

See Kami Fusen, paper balloons (& skip ad):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8QR37zZK0A
Last edited by chonchon on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

jimfowlie

Postby jimfowlie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 am

Thanks Piers. I like your thinking. The openings would certainly show off the colour of a silk cushion.
Jim (INS member)

Return to “Collector's Gallery”