netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Favorite Finds of 2017

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
souldeep

Re: Favorite Finds of 2017

Postby souldeep » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:21 am

Oishii wrote:Alan, I agree that this peculiar design of the butterfly can be something of an acquired taste ;-)

I quite like it Jan - it's kind of cartoony, stylised. That appeals to me more than if it had of been a faithful realistic representation.

The Mon you've shared is also heavily stylised. I can't help thinking how that Mon reminds me of a Japanese theatre sparrow hat.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

INSJ

Postby INSJ » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:12 am

Bakurae wrote:Thank,s INSJ. Can you tell us the publication year of INSJ no. 22? Jirka-Schmitz provided a similar interpretation of the squirrel-and-grapes ("budo ni rissu") netsuke in 2005 or a little earlier (see page 6 of this thread). It seems convincing; though so do the dormouse photos!

Hello Alison, this was Winter 2002.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Jan, I love your manju by Yoyusai! Such a delicate and fanciful composition, and even the signature is done in such a graceful manner, so beautiful.
Judy

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 am

This is my second favorite find for 2017, and for an entirely different reason. Seldom can I go into a local antique store and find a real netsuke. But that is what happened on a day in late October or early November after attending a Downton Abby exhibit at Flagler Museum here in St. Augustine. When leaving the exhibit, I couldn't resist walking into an antique shop on our path to the car. Standard question "Do you happen to have any netsuke?" Expecting the usual no, I was already backing out of the door when the owner said "Well yes I do"! He was very anxious to show me some 20C really bad ivory NLOs that were easily dismissed, but this little wood turtle caught my eye, and I asked to examine it. Needless to say, he left the shop with me, very happy to rescue him from his terrible existence in the company of ivory NLOs! It does have a hairline crack that needs some attention, but I liked him right away. It is signed Tomotada. Now, it isn't THE Tomotada, but there is another possibility listed in LAZ on a Tomotada who called himself Eirakusai, lived in Edo and was the teacher of Ninraku - early to mid 19C. Although there are some discrepancies between publications, they all seem to be talking about the same carver. There is yet another listing in Laz of a mingei quality netsuke signed Tomotada, but the untrained primitive quality of the netsuke illustrated separates him from this wood turtle carving that is of a good quality.
Note that just a week or two later a similar turtle appeared in our Ebay, missing the center post, and signed up and down instead of across. Very similar style though, and I assume was by the same hand. I did not bid on that one, although I did think about it as this one does have a crack and the other no post, and so between the two, I might have had one in better condition!
Just for fun!
Judy
Attachments
IMG_4868.JPG
IMG_4866.JPG
IMG_4867.JPG
Judy

Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:01 am

^ Nice find! I've mostly given up hope finding decent real netsuke "in the wild" within the US. I've picked up only a very small handful (literally; maybe 4?), and I'm scouring antique and secondhand stores every week (thankfully not only for netsuke).

I've generally had good luck with lacquer netsuke recently, but this tsuishu manju I received a couple weeks ago is probably my #1 favorite find of 2017 (I'll post #2 and #3 later). I believe it's missing a himotoshi attachment, but otherwise it's in excellent condition. I love how varied and detailed the design is.

1IMG_3399.JPG

2b.jpg
3IMG_3405.JPG
Last edited by Tsunuki on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan Snooks

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 am

Sweet little turtle, Judy. I used to have one very similar to that, and for a moment wondered if it might not even be the same one! Mine was slightly chipped along one side.

Ryan, I think your intricately carved Tsuishu manju is signed 如親 Jochika, (and possibly Kao, or Sai), but Martyn has my signatures book, so I am working in the dark. Possibly you can find such an artist in Wrangham, but I do not have my copy here. (If you struggle finding an artist with this signature, try both Nyo and Jo as readings for the first character 如.)
Last edited by chonchon on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Exciting story Juddy and a beautiful turtle, congratulations :D :D

Forgot to mention Ryan´s manju a beautiful intrincated carving, what are the measures? I like the strong signature. congratulations as well :D :D
Last edited by carlomagno on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nec spe nec metu

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:42 am

Thanks Carlomango! Glad you like it! Was an easy purchase.
Ryan I love the intricacy and the diverse nature of the carvings on your manju. It makes me wonder if those shapes represent something. Really lovely. I wonder what the cord peg looked like - if it was carved or plain, or if possibly a different material? We can only imagine now... Nice!
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:05 am

jbjtennyo wrote: I wonder what the cord peg looked like - if it was carved or plain, or if possibly a different material? We can only imagine now... Nice!

Based soley on the wear around the hole I imagine there was a metal fitting rather than an organic material.
Alan

Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 am

chonchon wrote:Ryan, I think your intricately carved Tsuishu manju is signed 如親 Jochika, (and possibly Kao, or Sai), but Martyn has my signatures book, so I am working in the dark. Possibly you can find such an artist in Wrangham, but I do not have my copy here. (If you struggle finding an artist with this signature, try both Nyo and Jo as readings for the first character 如.)

Thanks for the help with the signature! I've just put in an order for Wrangham's "The Index of Inro Artists", so I'll give that a check. It should help with some other lacquer netsuke and inro as well.

carlomagno wrote:Forgot to mention Ryan´s manju a beautiful intrincated carving, what are the measures? I like the strong signature. congratulations as well :D :D

Thanks! Dimensions are 1.80" diameter (46 mm) and 0.67" thickness (17 mm).

jbjtennyo wrote:Ryan I love the intricacy and the diverse nature of the carvings on your manju. It makes me wonder if those shapes represent something. Really lovely. I wonder what the cord peg looked like - if it was carved or plain, or if possibly a different material? We can only imagine now... Nice!

Thanks! I'm not sure on all the symbols. The ShiShi mask is unfamiliar to me in that besides the swirling pattern in the middle of its forehead, it looks to have long horns behind its ears. Otherwise, there are flowers (a peony and chrysanthemums), three tomoe swirls (the two-fold one above the ShiShi looks more like a Chinese taijitu, or yin-yang), two flame-like designs (?), karakusa style tendrils, and traditional patterns including waves (seigaiha), interlocking manji (sayagata), possibly arrow fletching (yagasuri), and whatever the swirling diamond pattern on the bottom of my last photo is called (?).

AFNetsuke wrote:
jbjtennyo wrote: I wonder what the cord peg looked like - if it was carved or plain, or if possibly a different material? We can only imagine now... Nice!

Based soley on the wear around the hole I imagine there was a metal fitting rather than an organic material.

My first instinct was also a metal fitting. I assume the side with the ShiShi mask was the front (it has the better decorations), and it definitely looks like whatever fitting it had was fixed in place on that side (lots of residue in that flat area around the hole). Also, the inside of the hole is bare wood, so whatever fitting it had probably wasn't meant to be removed. But If I replace it I'll probably just go with a simple wooden peg, since I'd be mostly useless in making a replacement metal fitting. A carved lacquer peg would've been nice though.
Last edited by Tsunuki on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Snooks

Return to “Collector's Gallery”