netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Favorite Finds of 2017

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
chonchon

Re: Favorite Finds of 2017

Postby chonchon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Very interesting question Martyn, to which I do not have an answer. With luck the answer will pop up along the path in the very near future! I will ask around.
Piers

Size is something.

mss

Postby mss » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:05 pm

chonchon wrote:Very interesting question Martyn, to which I do not have an answer. With luck the answer will pop up along the path in the very near future! I will ask around.

Found this in a book I have on Modern Japanese Lacquer. Within are multiple techniques demonstrated by modern masters--although believe methods are traditional. I'm showing techniques used for carved lacquer. Not sure if these images address your question fully-but must suspect each piece was individually crafted.

Sorry for quality of images, quick snaps on my phone, although clicking will improve resolution. Method is demonstrated, as well as multiple background patterns which can be used to enhance the main carved motif.
Attachments
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg

Clive

Postby Clive » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Looks very well illustrated Milton.. whats the name of the book?

mss

Postby mss » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Clive wrote:Looks very well illustrated Milton.. whats the name of the book?

Japanese Lacquer Art
Modern Masterpieces
edited by the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo
translated by Richard L. Gage

published by Weathrhill/Tankosho: New York, Tokyo, Kyoto
ISBN 0-8348-1524-9

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:35 pm

Nice to see this information on some of the procedures used in lacquer techniques, thank you Milton.
Although the field of Japanese Lacquer is quite new to me, I have really enjoyed the postings of lacquer pipe cases by Reinhard, Milton and others. Piers I like your Tsuishu example as well ...
The recent fascination for lacquer inspired me to acquire this rather delicate manju with a design of butterflies.
It is signed Yoyusai with kakihan. (ex Brooke Robinson Collection, Dudley Museum and Art Gallery)
Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 23.17.37.png
Last edited by Oishii on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jan

Clive

Postby Clive » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:09 pm

mss wrote:Japanese Lacquer Art
Modern Masterpieces
edited by the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo
translated by Richard L. Gage

published by Weathrhill/Tankosho: New York, Tokyo, Kyoto
ISBN 0-8348-1524-9

Cheers mate :)

mss

Postby mss » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Oishii wrote:The recent fascination for lacquer inspired me to acquire this rather delicate manju with a design of butterflies.
It is signed Yoyusai with kakihan. (ex Brooke Robinson Collection, Dudley Museum and Art Gallery)

Lovely piece; as you say, delicate, so probably only used (if at all) for special occasions.

Hope you find the following useful: Wrangham entry on your Yoyusai (there is another lacquer artist with same name, but uses different kanji), along w/ representative signatures.
Attachments
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1117.jpg

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:09 am

And there is Komin's name! Love the butterfly design, not least because it is reminiscent of the Mon or Kamon of our Ikeda Daimyo. That head and proboscis is distinctive and typical of the Han heraldry butterflies depicted from about Momoyama onwards.
Last edited by chonchon on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 am

chonchon wrote: That head and proboscis is distinctive of the Han heraldry butterflies depicted from about Momoyama onwards.

Yes, butterflies with a personality. I used to think them somewhat strange looking but they've grown on me.
A very nice find this year, Jan.
Alan

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:11 am

Milton, thank you for posting the entry on Yoyusai from the Wrangham book. This was indeed a very productive studio !
The signature seems to match.

It is interesting to see that many Inro from the Yoyusai workshop have designs that can be traced back to workshop book drawings.
Eight of the workshop books of this studio have survived ; all workshops kept at their premises such books filled with personal notes, sketches, paintings and glued-in shita-e ; but very few of these have survived and the ones from the Yoyusai studio are in museums in Japan and the US.
There was an INS Journal article about this : it is called "inro and their design drawings in Yoyusai’s workshop, INSJ 34/3:32; 34/4:30"
For INS Members, here is the link : https://www.netsuke.org/Resources/Docum ... 4-Fall.pdf

On the Website of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, some preparatory drawings can be admired :
http://www.mfa.org/search?search_api_vi ... xt=yoyusai

Piers, great to point us in the direction of the Kamon (mon) of Ikeda Daimyo. The resemblance is striking :
mon Lord Ikeda.png

Alan, I agree that this peculiar design of the butterfly can be something of an acquired taste ;-)
Jan

Return to “Collector's Gallery”