netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Favorite Finds of 2017

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
jbjtennyo

Re: Favorite Finds of 2017

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 am

Piers Thank You. Glad you like my little turtle. That would have been really something if your turtle had traveled around the world and ended up in my collection! But strangely enough, The antique dealer told me that his cousin found this netsuke at a sword fittings show, and said that some very old netsuke sometimes are found there.
Judy

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Hey Judy - a pleasing find - made all the more fateful by the hunt. It's a pleasure seeking out local antiques, made even more fulfilling when you find a little gem hidden away where you least suspect it. Nice one :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

calbear

Postby calbear » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Sorry for being late to the party ... Two pieces to show:

First, a late 17th century inro with a background of a bamboo grove, each side with a Buddhist gong - the side pictured depicting a dragon among clouds ... The 2017 purchases were ojime and netsuke matches for the inro: the metal ojime in the shape of a vase with raindragon handles, the netsuke of woven metal with four coiled dragons ....

IMG_1682.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

Next, my first contemporary purchase: a lacquer manju by Unryuan depicting a scene from the Tales of Genji ... apologies for the photo - it's high gloss gold lacquer background absorbs reflections that I haven't been able to remove ... Any suggestions for how to improve? ...

IMG_1686.jpeg

IMG_1689.jpeg

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Well done, my friend!
I have to say Steve is a very sophisticated and discriminating collector who really studies and has the patience to seek out items that fit his collection.
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:14 am

Merry Christmas Steve :)

You woven manju is a great compliment to the inro. I've not seen that style of manju depicting dragons before.

The contemporary lacquer piece is incredibly fine. It would be nice to see it photographed without the reflections. I think it requires you taking the photographs in a darkened room, with a light source off to one side. If you play around with that you'll get some success I am sure :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:51 am

Yesterday I shared all four of my 2017 favourite finds at our little festive get-together. I need to catch up posting them here.

So here is the third of my four. This one my favourite from Max this year. Ex Teddy Hann collection. Natural himotoshi. I found the composition warm and heartfelt. The Dad (sex of adult becomes obvious on the underneath), with one eye on the child. They present a tender relationship, the father and child's hands embraced. Underneath feet of the two grip a biwa fruit plant.

Before you ask - sorry but I am yet to work out the worn signature. I have a number of possible attributions, from Miwa, through Okotori, to Otoman! But not enough evidence yet to be certain in any area - they even make me think of Tamba at moments. Any hints you guys can provide would be most appreciated. Note the heart shaped ears, treatment of eyes and inverted V top lips (one Tamba artist I have noted the ear trait in, Otoman the eyes and inverted V shaped top lip).

DSCF0581.jpg
DSCF0582.jpg
DSCF0583.jpg

borat

Postby borat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:54 pm

That's a very, very nice piece Martyn ! You always seem to get first pick of all the London stock, :( , teacher's pet
Can't post pieces currently, I'm in the process of doing an intensive Tokyo Museum tour interspersed with Kobe beef tasting :)

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:52 pm

The pictures of your warm and well-worn monkeys are a lovely Christmas present, Martyn. Thanks!

Alison

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:59 am

Agreed, with so much なれ (naré), so sweet. Let us know if you can solve the puzzle and if it fits the faint remaining Mei, Martyn.

Still in Kyoto, and on the trail of that elusive 2017 find! Had some luck today, a fine Christmas present from St. Netsuclaus, and this could be it, but there is still time till the end of the year!
Also found another Tsuishu Manju, a red one this time, but the dealer wanted too much for it.
Interestingly there were some wonderful examples of Tsuishu and Tsuikoku work in the Kyoto National Museum.
I discovered that the characteristic twirly pattern is called ‘Guri’, which means going round and round. The word is written either 屈輪 or 倶利, which suggests Ateji (Kanji arbitrarily given to fit a sound, in this case going round, guruguru, gururi, or guri).
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:24 am

Now it is 2018, maybe the best find of 2017 will become clearer.

In retrospect, my own year was not outstanding, as I posted back in December, especially for Netsuke, Ojime, Inro, etc., but I did find several small goodies, more particularly though in my other hobby fields.

This month I am planning three forages far and wide in search of the elusive pimpernel. Wish me luck!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/pl ... ernel.html
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”