netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Favorite Finds of 2017

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
jbjtennyo

Favorite Finds of 2017

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:06 pm

I really enjoyed seeing all the posts in Neil Holton's Favorite Finds 2016, so thought it might be fun to see what everyone's favorites are this year. I didn't purchase a lot this year, just a few pieces. But even if I had acquired more, it would be hard for anything to surpass getting this ensemble together again. A Fine Porcelain Inro and Karako with mask, I am so pleased to have it in my collection. I hope to find a porcelain ojime to make the set complete! --maybe 2018!
Looking forward to seeing what you have added to your netsuke inventory!
Attachments
favorite.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Oishii

Re: Favorite Finds of 2017

Postby Oishii » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 pm

thank you for starting this topic, Judy and looking forward to seeing our member's favorites of 2017.
We like your porcelain inro with charming karako netsuke very much.
The blue colour shadings on the inro (were these snowflake motives ?) are ever so refined.
Both pieces seem in excellent condition, especially for ceramic work ...
Good luck in finding the right ojime for it !

Here is an Asakusa Ryusa Manju in stag that we thought was quite charming in its own humble way.
What is the motive underneath the Shishi ? Would you see a butterfly in it or rather a leaf ?
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 23.50.32.png
Last edited by Oishii on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:36 pm

I really love this ryusa, Jan. Stag antler is one of my favorite materials, as the textures and color changes bring a lot of interest to the composition. At first look, I thought this looked more like a butterfly shape, but I don't think if it were a butterfly the carver would have put it under the feet of the shishi. Second thought is that it is a lotus flower motif, suggesting peace and unity. It is a stretch, as the pedals of the lotus would be pointing more upward. The strongest icon there seems to be the leaf shapes at the bottom of the motif. I am wondering if it is a suggestion of a woodland scene, as the shapes coming up the sides from the leaf shape in the center seem to look like gnarly trunks or branches. Whatever the case, it is a lovely flowing composition. Thanks for sharing it.
In the description of my inro, it speaks of the shapes as stylized snowflakes. However, Piers has pointed out that it is very similar to a mon that he is familiar with. If that is the case, then perhaps this inro was made specifically for a family who had this mon. Just a thought..
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:21 am

Judy your set is lovely. My feeling is that it would be perfect for the summer when the heat is unbearable and Japanese enjoy even the very suggestion of something cool. The netsuke shows favorite themes of children, playing, festivals, faraway places, again to delight the heart. Thank goodness these have survived the centuries. A great choice for number one.
Last edited by chonchon on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:26 am

Jan, the feet of your shishi are stylized to the extent that there is no weight to its body and it merges with the clouds, a sign of Elysian fields, ie heaven. Shishi are usually imagined in association with Botan (peonies) and butterflies, so your artist may have created a dream sequence with just a touch of butterfly, peony leaves and shishi all blending into the clouds. So light and dreamy, a superb composition! :)
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:53 am

We acquired this 18th Century tall (10.5cm) stag antler Seiobo on our first trip back to visit friends and attend the SF Chapter meeting after we move south about 350 miles. Sorry about photo orientation. I've messed with these images three times trying to get it right.
Attachments
20170227_171819.jpg
20170227_172055.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alan

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:20 am

Great call on doing this thread again Judy, it was a real enjoyable one last year. Your ensemble is a match made in heaven, really lovely. As you say, a ceramic ojime is definitely needed to match the set.

Jan a lovely ryusa, this is a little Tokoku/Masayuki-esque.

Alan, I would compare your figure with a Seiobo in the Bushell Collection at Lacma. Its in the book, LH page, to the RH page is a Seiobo by Sanko. I think your one might be a stag precursor to the ivory one. Same studio maybe.

I will post my favourite today, when I finally get my hands on it.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:26 pm

I like all three posted up to now, especially your lovely inro, Judy.

This year I have had a few favourites and a few disappointments...

My absolute favourite is this Shishi, signed Mitsuharu (it has some connection to my kids related part of collection - it has a young Shishi :) ):

3A48997C-F58B-4C74-8609-954AE64B2FC3.jpeg

8C485D9B-36EE-442B-9156-7BAD26E3F8AF.jpeg

B857C6F0-F24C-455C-8109-F4D993E7D44C.jpeg
Alex

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:21 pm

Alex, a lovely Kyoto Shishi :love:

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:29 pm

I've been greedy this year....but in my defence I have been a good boy!

At the recent Tremont sale a pipecase (Minko) became available that I just had to have as a comparison to my Hasegawa Ikko example. Its so interesting for me to compare these two (i've only had the Minko for the matter of hours) but similarities and differences emerge when you hold both together.

In the same lot, was a mushroom tonkotsu which I have paired with a mushroom veneered pipecase. Though the ojime matches the theme, I would far prefer to have a more organic ojime, maybe a mushroom. I might try and find a mushroom out walking the dogs and see how I could dry and carve it to suit an ojime.

The last is a Minko Tonkotsu from the Behrens collection, its certainly not my favourite but it has a place in the Minko smoking related stuff story.
Attachments
Minko1.JPG
Minko2.JPG
MushroomSet1.JPG
MushroomSet2.JPG
PipecaseComparison1.JPG
PipecaseComparison2.JPG
PipecaseComparison3.JPG

Return to “Collector's Gallery”