netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

man examining wound on his leg

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
chonchon

Re: man examining wound on his leg

Postby chonchon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:53 am

That point on the leg, well illustrated by Martyn above, is one of the pressure points that I use when self-massaging. There are three in vertical alignment on the outside of the shin. In 2014 I had what I suspected was a blood clot in my leg so I went to the local blind Hari/Kyu no sensei and asked him for acupuncture. He preferred to give me moxa and laughed when I asked if it would hurt. No, he scoffed.

He used nothing underneath the moxa, but I grimaced without shouting. Well, maybe an Ooooooooo.....! The scars stayed with me for weeks, like cigarette burns. I would post a photo but I know that the members are squeamish.

Forgive the thread drift. Back to Dave and his suffering patient. 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 am

NetsukeManiac wrote:My 'Moxa Man'. Unsigned, but easily attributable.

Is it Dave? This looks like an early Edo school, Miwa circle? But then I sometimes trip up confusing these hands with early Tsu work. Want to put me out of my misery?

Nice old piece :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 am

chonchon wrote:He preferred to give me moxa and laughed when I asked if it would hurt. No, he scoffed.

He used nothing underneath the moxa, but I grimaced without shouting. Well, maybe an Ooooooooo.....! The scars stayed with me for weeks, like cigarette burns. I would post a photo but I know that the members are squeamish.

Now I know why why you suggest these models display blisters. First hand experience. Why did he not apply any ointment, a lesson from a sadist sensei perhaps :lol:
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:46 am

Seems Miwa to me.

Dave

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:41 am

NetsukeManiac wrote:Seems Miwa to me.

Dave - I've taken a dig around my library to see if I can find any further examples of this model by Miwa.

In doing so realised I may have already, coincidental, shared the image of a Miwa model mentioned in the MCI, from yesterdays random search, for moxa netsuke examples.

mci1.jpg

90757149.jpg

I checked my Trower collection book, but cannot find an image of the MCI piece once in Trower's custodianship.

If it is the same model as shown in the MCI, it opens a very interesting comparison between your model, and the MCI example.

Why is this? Well there seems to be some controversy recorded in the MCI regarding the model I shared in the image above. It's suggested that the face might have been "improved" at a later date.

mci2.jpg

This might well make your model a closer, more honest candidate, of the Miwa hand, than the example above.

What are your thoughts?

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 am

Very interesting. If the above example is in fact a 'fake' Miwa with a re-carved face and added signature, then the one I own could indeed be a more honest example of this theme by another Tokyo school carver or possibly someone else under the Miwa umbrella. I'm pretty sure there are more examples of this model in existence which could be said to be honestly from Miwa or one of his disciples. Let's see what Fuld's Index has listed under Miwa.

Here it is:

Miwa list.JPG

Maybe the 'fake' Miwa is in fact an authentic Miwa which started life as an unsigned Miwa then someone decided to enhance the face and add a signature to improve it's marketability.

Dave
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am

Another interesting point regarding this card.

Lazarnick looks to be accusing F.M. (Meinertzhagen?) of being a faker too?

He insinuates that in F.M's ownership, the discrepancy between the lighter facial area present after a re-carve, was resolved, by F.M. using Potassium Permanganate (I've used this to treat Koi in my pond) to age the facial area.

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:38 pm

souldeep wrote:Wow. Doug is that yours? It looks like very early nagoya work. Can you share more pics?

No more pics- I know nothing else about it- just found the shot online with no attributions

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi Doug - thanks.

Can you share the link to the site that had it? It might offer more. I'd like to see more of that netsuke.

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

http://www.ssplprints.com/image/86101/netsuke-showing-a-man-applying-moxa-japanese-late-18th-century

you win the prize Martyn! Page attributes it to Nagoya school, and the actual piece is maybe at the Science Museum in London?

Return to “Collector's Gallery”