netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

homage to father and son

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
LUBlub

Re: homage to father and son

Postby LUBlub » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:19 pm

“Houston ... we have a problem ...”…and curiosity…

As I said this thread becomes interesting to our research on netsukes but above all to be able to confirm and prove concrete facts about the life of artists.
Already clarify by Clive Hallam the Tokata subject.
Still I have desire to have more informations and evidence about Meigyokusai and his subject Raven and Skull ...
It has been said that Meykokusai had no problem carving the same netsuke over and over as long as he was paid.
In fact, we know as official fact from the same artist that he did it with his Junishi under order of his patron. (read the article of Willi Bosshard) but nothing regard he repeated many times his Raven and Skull
This subject is very special (in my personal opinion) under the technical dificult execution point of view.
Again the analysis and opinion of CHallam is important when observing the quality of carving between the
Skull and Raven in Avory-Wood and only Ivory…(feathers and skull details).
Probably if Floridanetsuke can improve the photos – please read in the specific section of INS how to do that – we will have much more clear vision of what is what in our comparisons.
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Willi Bosshard

Netsuke in my Collection
Posted on January 26, 2003 by Willi
Hereafter are some of my favorite netsuke presently in my collection. The majority of the netsuke shown on this page are by old masters; however, I am also including two contemporary pieces.

The ivory Japanese zodiac netsuke above was the first netsuke I purchased from Tsuruki in Shinmonzen Street in Kyoto in January 1967. It was initially ‘signed’ Masatsugu and I bought it as a late 19th century export model. Later I found out that it was carved by a living carver, Meigyokusai of Kyoto, in the early 1960s. I managed to meet the then already 70 year old netsuke shi in his new home in Shiga Prefecture. Mr. Hiraga (his real name) recognized his work but when asked why he used someone else’s signature, he replied: When Mr. Tsuruki orders 100 copies of this model from a insignificant carver like me, you are happy that he remembered you and you inscribe whatever name he asks you to place on the netsuke, after all you have got to feed your family.
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am

I’m just back from shinmonzen street Luigi. By instinct I think found the only antique shop carrying Netsuke inventory in Kyoto. Could not take pictures but handled a dozen of very good pieces with astronomical prices also some beautiful kotsu. Anyway I spent a full hour chatting with the generous lady in charge meanwhile my friends outside tolerates it knowing how crazy I’m for this things.
Nec spe nec metu

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:51 pm

carlomagno wrote:I’m just back from shinmonzen street Luigi. By instinct I think found the only antique shop carrying Netsuke inventory in Kyoto. Could not take pictures but handled a dozen of very good pieces with astronomical prices also some beautiful kotsu. Anyway I spent a full hour chatting with the generous lady in charge meanwhile my friends outside tolerates it knowing how crazy I’m for this things.

Dear JC...I'm so happy you have this unique chance (not every day...) to enjoy and have in hand many of that small jewels..
I'm surprised with your comment about the price levels, sorry do not have some photos to try to make analysis and comparisons...
I wish you a happy journey and do not forget to send and share with us photos of your purchases...bankruptcy but happy!....
destiny of most of netsuke collectors...

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 am

LUBlub wrote:bankruptcy but happy!....
destiny of most of netsuke collectors...

:lol: truth!
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”